Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Roman Lakes  (Read 19749 times)

Dave

Re: Roman Lakes
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 07:42:21 AM »
If speeding ever became a problem, then take action to solve it

Not sure what action that would be.  AFAIK the only legally enforceable speed limit on a bridleway is the National Speed Limit (60 mph). 

rsh

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 11:18:01 PM »
Not sure which point of view you mean now Dave! I was definitely in the resurfacing camp, although really all I'd like is the spectacular number of potholes filled in with ballast, not a big ask. I never expected it to be the council's problem either as it's clearly unadopted as a road. So it's up to the owners of the lakes buildings and/or local volunteers in the valley project (or indeed us) to sort it.

If speeding ever became a problem, then take action to solve it, it shouldn't mean leaving an important access route to such an asset in a practically unusable condition. You could even say that people speed down there now because the track's in such a bad state they think or know they'll be the only vehicle on it!

Chadkirk is a good comparison. In fact, the lakes might be improved by similarly making a new car park closer to the main access road, solving all these problems AND forcing people to walk a bit.

Dave

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 07:31:05 AM »
I can see both points of view, but on balance I think Phil, rsh and sgk have the more persuasive argument.  Despite the poor surface, some people already drive too fast along that bridleway, especially delivery van drivers, who aren't too bothered about causing damage to their vehicles, of course.  And then there are the occasional convoys of fast off-road motorbike riders, who ride around the bridleways illegally (and very noisily) at weekends.   Mind you, I guess maybe they like a rough surface, so perhaps if it were smoother they might leave us in peace   :D

Melancholyflower

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »
Nothing lowly about my ambitions or efforts! I do find it genuinely puzzling that anyone should be opposed to improving the road, if nothing else than for emergency vehicle access. And I never see cars hurtling down the access road to Chadkirk, say. After all, it is only access - Presumably one doesn't visit the lakes simply to walk through a load of potholes. But I guess we agree to differ.

sgk

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 09:44:16 AM »
Quite frankly I'm glad the surface is so bad. As one who only ever walks or cycles the route, typically with 2 willing youngsters (<10) accompanying me, it's nice not to have to worry about cars travelling at more than 10mph (and I'm speaking as one who elsewhere advocates driving at a true 30mph in towns and villages, when it is safe and legal to do so, and somewhat more than the NSL on many rural A and M routes... :-) The more people that use the Roman Lakes the better for all of us. Those that can't, or chose not to, walk there are welcome by vehicle - just plan an extra couple of minutes for the journey...

Couldn't agree more.  If not local then park on Awkwright Road and it's a beautiful walk down to the Roman Lakes, and no fast vehicles to endanger the kids.  Love it exactly the way it is currently.

Dave

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »
As SMBC have long refused to carry out any repairs or improvements to this road, it has been left to the owners of the Roman Lakes to do what they can to fill the potholes and keep it some sort of drivable condition.  Which they have been doing for some years.   But the resources to do this are limited.   Anyone who feels strongly about this and wants to do something constructive should get involved with the Friends of Our Valley.  See http://www.ourvalley.org.uk/

Rudolph Hucker

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 08:13:38 AM »
Can't speak about elderly in-laws (well I can but health wise the Roman Lakes are not an option for them even by car) but both my kids have been going to the Roman Lakes since they were only a few months old. First in a "front carry", then in a rear one, then from the age of about 15 months a combination of walking and carrying. Can't remember when "number one" first walked the full 3 mile loop without any adult assistance (other than a hand) but "number 2" was 2 and a half. They have never been taken there by car.

We are by no means an exception - over the years we have met many other families in a similar position.

The Lakes are not a fair stretch from the main road for very small children if you set your ambitions (and efforts) a little higher. Note I say your ambitions. Kids will follow your lead.

Of course you are at liberty to stay away (as I will if the road improves ;-) )

RH

Melancholyflower

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »
Interesting info Dave, makes sense.
rsh - I dread to think what state it is in after a further 18 months of neglect and bad weather.

Ideally one would walk everywhere, but when you have very small children and elderly in-laws that option is sadly not practical, and it's a fair stretch from the main road.  I will unfortunately be staying away from what surely is a site with huge potential.

If visitor numbers are to increase significantly then the road improvement has to be the priority.

Rudolph Hucker

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »
Quite frankly I'm glad the surface is so bad. As one who only ever walks or cycles the route, typically with 2 willing youngsters (<10) accompanying me, it's nice not to have to worry about cars travelling at more than 10mph (and I'm speaking as one who elsewhere advocates driving at a true 30mph in towns and villages, when it is safe and legal to do so, and somewhat more than the NSL on many rural A and M routes... :-) The more people that use the Roman Lakes the better for all of us. Those that can't, or chose not to, walk there are welcome by vehicle - just plan an extra couple of minutes for the journey...

Dave

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 11:55:40 PM »
As I understand it, the road to the Roman Lakes is classified as a bridleway.  Motorised vehicles are only permitted to use it in order to gain access to places situated on it - such as the Roman Lakes, of course.  Trouble is, local Highway Authorities (i.e. councils) are only obliged to maintain bridleways up to the standard necessary for them to be used by horse riders. Hence the dreadful condition of the road. 

rsh

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 08:51:34 PM »
Cycled through on Monday and the potholes were the worst I've ever seen them. I had thought with all the viaduct works Network Rail might have thrown down some temporary ballast for their vehicles but obviously not - the temporary metal road deck through there was the best surface!

As nice as it is to imagine everyone getting there by foot, there aren't enough people living close enough or willing to do that to sustain it, so whoever's responsible really does need to look at options to improve the road...

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »
Could I ask whether these improvements have extended to repairing the approach road to the Lakes? I hope so. It's been about 18 months since I was last there but the sheer number and size of potholes damaged my car's suspension. I must say it put me off going again!
Why not walk there next time. Better for you, better for the car and better for the road. :)

Melancholyflower

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 07:56:25 PM »
Could I ask whether these improvements have extended to repairing the approach road to the Lakes? I hope so. It's been about 18 months since I was last there but the sheer number and size of potholes damaged my car's suspension. I must say it put me off going again!

Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
Well said Cyberman!  Yes, after some years of apparent neglect, things have been happening down at the Roman Lakes over the past couple of years.  One important part of this has been the establishment of the Friends of Our Valley.  See http://www.ourvalley.org.uk/  They have worked with Stockport Council, the Mellor Archeological Trust and others, and have been successful in raising funds from external sources for various improvements around the Goyt Valley, including clearing woodland and planting.  And then there are the popular Roman Lakes tea dances too.  It's good to see things happening down there at last! 

Cyberman

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 04:53:23 PM »
I thought I'd resurrect this topic after its 10 year break...   Just been for a wander round there with the family and I have to say I was very impressed. I'd not been since the new Tearoom was opened - this is nice and cosy (very cosy if you sit near the wood-burning stove) with good "hearty" food - I guess aimed at hungry mountain bikers. We had soup and rolls - these I think were home made and very good.

I think this is a great resource for the area, catering as it does for cyclists, walkers, fishing, canoeing and wildlife-spotting (We saw a couple of buzzards overhead). We had a really enjoyable afternoon there - not bad considering its only 15 mins walk form Marple centre. I hope the owners manage to continue with its development.