Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Rose Hill off licence to close?  (Read 4966 times)

marveld

Re: Rose Hill off licence to close?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 12:50:01 PM »
It's official - IT WILL CLOSE ON 16th DECEMBER.

Stock is being sold at a discount. Great shame since I know all the people who work there and the new manager has always been very friendly too.

marveld

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 07:38:39 AM »
It took me a while to locate, but here's the application:

http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/edrms/onlinemvm/getimage.asp?DocumentNumber=70343

At the time off applying, it was going to be a "Mace" store (now Spar) and not sell alcohol and compete with the Threshers shop (now named Wine Rack).

From the brief chats I had with the owner during the construction period, things evolved and there was no big plan to sell booze initially. There was a problem with the building work and they couldn't open when they wanted to. I think they needed stronger steels which led to the obvious decision make use of the extra floor space given by the steel and therefore to sell additional products. I'm sure it's all above board! Also, lets not forget that if Wine Rack does close it's not because of local competition, but because the parent company are in trouble.

alan@marple

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 09:58:23 PM »
I seem to recall, that when the new shop next door applied for planning consent for alterations, it was intimated by the agent that they would not be selling alcoholic drinks in deference to the off licence/wine shop next door.

I don't know whether such a statement would effect the granting of permission, but they got it, and now compete with the old established Rose Hill wine shop (Vicky Wine).

If you check the planning applications round about mid summer, you will see reference to this.

chicken lady

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 06:22:45 PM »
I went in this evening and the staff are very unsure about what will happen to the shop. I hope they don't close, the staff are friendly and knowledgable and there are good offers on. The SPAR next door is great for foods and papers etc, but they don't have the choice that Wine Rack have.

orangewhip

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:32:19 PM »
It is a good off licence but a tad expensive when compared to Bargain Booze etc.  Suppose you pay a bit more for the expertise, they gave me some cracking advice recently on a nice red to partner a beef dish I was preparing.  Hope it stays too.

Cyberman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
 :-\   I hope it doesn't close - I think it's the best off licence in Marple. I do like being served by someone who a) knows about what they're selling and b) isn't on the phone at the same time.

marveld

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 03:56:36 PM »
The latest news is "it looks like we're alright".  :)

marveld

Rose Hill off licence to close?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »
I popped into the shop yesterday and was informed it might be closing pending the news on Thresher. Today, Thresher announced 373 shops are to close, “Wine Rack” being part of the Thresher group. I’ll keep you posted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8345384.stm

http://www.threshergroup.com/