Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Sunday Afternoon Brass Band Concerts in the Park.  (Read 3402 times)

nbt

Re: Sunday Afternoon Brass Band Concerts in the Park.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 06:12:20 PM »
I would certainly aim to come along, I am looking forward to the concert series planned for the coming months at Marple Cricket and Squash Club, and am will certainly be attending the Marple Band Christmas Concert at the Conservative Club - last year's was excellent.
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

jet

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 05:34:57 PM »
The Brass Bands of Marple are not sponsored and have Charity status.
The bands regularly  support the local community by playing at events such as Merchant Navy and Remembrance day,Carnival and the Iron Bridge reopening etc. It would be good if the concerts were sponsored by somebody, but I am sure the bands would be happy with a raffle and collection and have a trial run.

alan@marple

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 02:33:30 PM »
I would really enjoy attending these concerts. However I understand that both Marple Bands are not sponsored and are funded only from donations.I think that if I was in charge of the band I would want to "test the water" first and see what amount a collection on the day would raise. A most important factor would be the weather.

Advertising would also be essential and press and Local radio/TV feature would be advantageous.

Perhaps a trial series, and as previously suggested funded by grant from the council and contributions from the Marple Business forum,Community Council and Civic Society, would really "kick start" a new Marple tradition

jet

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 04:55:54 PM »
All that is needed to start these concerts is to approach The Marple Band and Hawk Green band and ask them for available dates in the summer 2010 ,which i can arrange.
I would suggest that the concerts are fortnightly ,alternating the two Bands starting in mid July till the end of August.The finale Concert could be on the Sunday Bank Holiday weekend with the to bands joining together for a Massed Brass Band concert, with the theme on 'the Last night of the Prom's or Proms in the Park.
The Bands would need 25 chairs and a good size gazebo just in case of rain,a P.A. system so the Conductor can address the audition.The Bands need to raise founds so let them collect on the Day from the listening public and organise a raffle

Susan

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 10:05:53 AM »
We have these in the park near us in the summer months, i think that they have a different band on each sunday

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 05:56:44 AM »
Sorry for not replying sooner, I've been on holiday and the advertised wi-fi service was severely restricted. I must have missed this topic due to all the 17 Windows stuff!

I believe the Friends of the Park would be prepared to help organise the concerts (depending what is involved) and I'm sure they would support the idea of summer concerts in the park.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Neil Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:11:06 PM »
I visited Buxton pavilion gardens a few weeks ago, they had a local brass band on and the spectators (at a guess >200) really enjoyed the show. It did take place in the band stand with everyone getting their rugs and sitting on the floor for the whole show. I doubt it would get the same "turnout" if it where held on Market St, where people would walk past as they go about their shopping!!

This would be a great idea in Marple but like others have said it would need to be very well publicised eg a big banner on the Dooley lane/Marple road junction (as I have seen for the up and coming food fair!!!) and be held in the Memorial where people can picnic etc.

nbt

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:05:51 PM »
I'd certainly come along, I didn;t know about Sunday's service until I was passing and dropped in for a quick listen. Unfortunately I couldn;t stop :(
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

jet

Sunday Afternoon Brass Band Concerts in the Park.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:59:48 PM »
On Sunday 6th September the Brass Bands Of Marple (Marple Band and Hawk Green Band combined) played at the Merchant Navy Day Memorial service in the Marple Memorial Park, unfortunately it was not well attended by the general public.I am a member of the bands. A local Marple  person has approached myself and suggested why don,t the Bands play a series of afternoons Concerts in the park on a Sunday afternoons in the summer months.
I think this is a great idea and I am sure the Brass Bands of Marple would  be prepared to play in a series of Concerts.The Park would make a fantastic venue ,with the views across Kinder etc.The format could be for the Concert to start at 2pm ,with two 45 minutes spots.The Local Council could sponsor these concerts similar to the Concerts in Vernon Park.Would the Friends Of Marple Memorial Park be interested in helping to organising these Concerts