Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: the pen incident at johnsons the cleaners  (Read 3716 times)

Osdog

Re: the pen incident at johnsons the cleaners
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »
Try claiming on your household insurance.... sometimes they do new for old....

Rachael

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 01:38:40 PM »
Unfortunately we do not have the paperwork, but speaking to someone I know  in insurance, they  said that unfortunately your suit is classed as a "second hand" suit,  and that is all that the cleaners are liable to pay you for regardless of how many times it has been worn .

Your arguement could be that your suit is not an everyday suit, so does not have every day wear and tear , also that this is human error, by thier staff,   not a "risk" which you take when a suit is dry cleaned where cleaning solutions do not suit the material , and as it is human error, then you should be given full costs of a like for like suit , you should not be out of pocket for thier mistake.

Also, you need to find out what is the contract when you take your suit to be cleaned, unfortunately all you get is a slip of paper, so they know what suit it is you are collecting on your return , I know I have never read the small print when Ive taken something in to be dry cleaned .

Failing that, as mentioned previously , get in touch with the Association of Dry Cleaners,  alot of companys think that if they dig thier heels in and say no, then eventually you will go away, DONT give up, keep on persuing it .  We had an absolute nightmare with Morrisons at Bredbury over my husbands coat, they initially offered £20 , eventually we got the full cost of a new coat but it wasnt without  standing a firm ground .

Rachael

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
My husband had an incident at the dry cleaners at Morrison's where his work coat was ruined, there is an association of dry cleaners, and they got involved , they also gave him addresses of where to take the matter further, I'm sorry I do not have the information to hand, but its worth looking on google for them .

Morrison's would not take responsibility for the items damaged. 

In the end we won our case,  and got the full cost of a new coat , ( regardless of its age )

if I can find anything out in the mean time I shall let you know ( if I can find any old correspondence, as its a while back )

As for Johnsons , I've mentioned before on here about how bad they are, my husband had a suit ruined by them years back,  I take our clothes to the Dry cleaners opposite marks and spencers at hazel grove,
they are excellent

Victor M

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »
Peter,
Very sorry to hear about your suit, I would recommend a trip to the local CAB in the Memorial Park, they might know of any similar incidents.

chris wallis

the pen incident at johnsons the cleaners
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:05:55 PM »
I had a £400 jaeger suit in for cleaning at johnsons in Marple when I got a phone call saying they'd had an incident where a pen had been left in the lining of a jacket and a number of items had been ruined, including my suit. Jolly good that they rang me up, I thought. So I went in and filled in the forms and was told I'd get compensation. This morning I got a letter from head office with a note saying I'd had the suit for a year, ( I'd worn it twice) so I would only get 75% of the value under some scheme or other. and enclosing a cheque for £300 in full and final settlement. I know it will cost me £400 to replace the suit because that is what Jaeger told me when I rang them last week. I'm going to fight this, and wondered if anyone else out there who had the same experience would like to join me ?