To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Improvements to the Towpath alongside Memorial Park  (Read 2168 times)

enchantica

Re: Improvements to the Towpath alongside Memorial Park
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 05:52:36 PM »
My husband and I walked along this bit of the towpath last weekend when we were on a rare trip back to Marple.   It was a bit rocky under-foot.  I'll look forward to my next visit when it looks as though I'll be able to enjoy the view as I stroll along, rather than keeping my eyes firmly on the path so I dont trip!  ;)

Barbara

Re: Improvements to the Towpath alongside Memorial Park
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 09:58:30 AM »
Jolly good - we'll be able to walk to/from pub without risking sprained ankles! :D

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Improvements to the Towpath alongside Memorial Park
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:05:02 AM »
Improvements to the towpath of the Peak Forest Canal adjacent to Marple Memorial Park are scheduled to commence on Monday 7th July, immediately after the Marple Locks Festival.

The schedule of work is explained below. During this time there will be a number of temporary stages which may give cause for concern to people who are not aware what is going on. British Waterways will post notices advising that these are temporary situations. The schedule is subject to weather considerations.

The towpath will be closed during working hours but barriers will be removed in the evenings and weekends. An official closure order and diversion is in place. Boaters will not be affected. Only sufficient materials for the day’s working will be kept on site overnight.

Tuesday 7th July for 21 days – during this time the path will be excavated and brought back to its original levels. There will however be a shallow ditch containing the base level of largish chippings.  Cobbled drainage ditches will be renewed in the lock areas.

Monday 27th July for 30 days - A bituminous layer will be laid on the base material.  The actual laying should take less than 7 days but it then needs to be left to cure for a further period. During this time it will have a black appearance.

Monday 31st August for 5 days – The final layer of a resin bound material in a colour to match the surroundings will be added to finish the work.

Contact if you have any queries is:

Jim Court
Travel Plan Co-ordinator
Stockport Council
Telephone : (0161) 218 1059
Mobile:  07527 387262
E-mail : jim(dot)court(at)Stockport(dot)gov(dot)uk

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website