Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: marple cycle race  (Read 3166 times)

heather

Re: marple cycle race
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 07:12:14 PM »
sue makes it sound as if i watched just to see them fall off

BrokenBiscuit

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 04:25:40 PM »
Tricky's route is the right way round, because they used to always fall off at the Bowling Green pub. They used to hammer it down Stockport road then get in a big mess when they realised Cross Lane was sharper than they thought. Which is I used to stand there.

Susan

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 08:04:06 PM »
i knew it went one way on buxton lane, but couldn't remember which way, i was talking about it with my mum the other day and she remembers loads falling off the bikes. This must off happened near the ridge because we always stood at the top of the garages

Tricky

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 05:43:05 PM »
Don't remember it going down Buxton Lane.. ? 

My memory is it starting/finishing At Marple Ridge High School.. Along Hibbert Lane, left at Stockport Road, then left into Cross Lane, UP Buxton Lane turning left at the top back onto Hibbert Lane..

then in later years

Starting/Finishing At Marple Ridge High School.. Along Hibbert Lane, down Stockport Road, left into Cross Lane then Peacefield left onto Woodville Drive turning left at the top back onto Hibbert Lane..

Always Loved the bike race.. it would be great to see that again.
meh

Miss Marple

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 04:49:44 PM »
When was the last cycle race it seems a life time ago ?

Susan

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 02:26:33 PM »
I remember it, it use to go along hibbert lane and then down Buxton lane. It use to be in the same week as the carnival i think

sooty2

marple cycle race
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
After reading the recent posts about Morris dancers in carnivals gone by, It brought to mind the yearly cycle race. Does anyone remember it or know why we dont have one anymore?