Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Linked Events

• Etherow Raft Race: June 21, 2009

Author Topic: Raft Race?  (Read 3666 times)

Lisa Oldham

Re: Raft Race?
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »
some Raft race pictures

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=120931&id=616393161&l=0f663e3500

can pinch them if you want Mark... think you can download direct from FB otherwise i can email them over

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 05:36:28 PM »
If you can let us know the date and details for next year a reasonable time in advance (say 2 -3 weeks) then we'd be pleased to help with the publicity on the site. The last few years we've struggled to find out if it's on but happy to support it if you or the organisers can let us know what's happening.

Just moving this to local issues now as the Events section is focused on forthcoming events.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Rachael

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:18:47 PM »
Sounds like you had a good time Beerhippy  :)  and its good there were more participants this year :)

beerhippy

Re: Raft Race
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 09:33:31 PM »
Thanks to Mark for adding the link to the calendar. I guess a link can only be set up from the start of a thread - normally this is OK as the first post is usually to announce something, not to ask why it hasn't been announced.

I watched most of the Raft Race activities (I missed the first race because a bus connection hadn't worked). Many thanks to those who confirmed it was on. Despite the indifferent weather there were plenty of spectators and there seemed to be more participants than last year. Along with some regular entrants there were teams from the Andrew Arms and the Windsor Castle - the Andrew Arms raft won despite being slightly weighed down with pumpclips, bar towels and a small hanging basket! It didn't have any handpumps though, maybe something to work on for next year? ;)

I got some photographs, but my camera was misbehaving so I missed moments such as an unstable raft turning over and the DJ/announcer being thrown in! Some usable conventional photos though. I'll edit them (and previous ones) when other stuff is out of the way.

There were lots of posters and signs around Etherow Park and Compstall, including inside the pubs. I'd have seen them if I'd visited the lake or passed through Compstall in the last few weeks.

I still think the Raft Race could do with more "Stockport-wide" advance publicity, as I almost missed it this year. The Raft Race is great fun and raises money for the Motor Neurone Disease Association. I've set a reminder to check with them next year so I can help to publicise it. 8)

beerhippy

Re: Raft Race
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 12:51:36 AM »
Hmm, I wanted to put the Etherow raft race on the calendar by linking from this thread, but it wouldn't work as "the time for edits has passed", even from this new post (which I'm now successfully editing, changing it completely). Oh well. Time for bed. See you at the lake.  8)

beerhippy

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 12:33:37 AM »
Thanks! I'll try to get there for lunchtime to see what's happening. I greatly enjoy this event and I have lots of photographs from previous years. (Oops - I was supposed to send some in last year, edited to 500 pixels max. - sorry, still not done! My father has been ill lately and I forgot...)

I'd expected to see the raft race mentioned in this forum or listed on the calendar, as in previous years. The event would attract more people (participants and spectators), and therefore more money for charity, if it had more advance publicity over a wider area. I live the other side of Stockport and don't often go through Compstall, so I didn't see this year's posters.

Anyway, if you're going, see you there! (And if it's rained off or fizzles out, you might find me in the Andrew Arms...  8) )

Susan

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 08:20:14 PM »
Raft race tomorrow not sure time but the signs are up at compstall

Rachael

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:38:09 AM »
I know its definately on because I saw a poster for it at Etherow park, BUT cant remember for the life of me what time, or date , its usually the day after the Marple carnival I think ?

beerhippy

Raft Race?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 02:55:22 AM »
In previous years there's been a charity Raft Race on the lake at Etherow Country Park, normally held on the Sunday of the Carnival weekend. Last year it was a rather smaller event than previously. This year I've seen no publicity for it at all. Does this mean it's not happening?