A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Queen's route to Marple in 1968.  (Read 7644 times)

heather

Queen's route to Marple in 1968.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:18:20 PM »
the tale  went that royalty wouldnt visit marple while the hall was ocupied by desendants of judge bradshaw or while the hall stood

Miss Marple

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Thanks for that Ray its great that someone else remembers !!!

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »
One day in 1946/7 King George 6th and Queen Elizabeth traveled by car from Hyde to Ringway airport along Dooley Lane and Offerton Road and all the Marple school children waving flags lined the footpath between  the cottages on Dooley Lane and the bottom of Dan bank. That's about as close as royalty have been to Marple Hall. Ray

Miss Marple

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 06:49:26 PM »
I remember well that visit and the Queen had been expected  to arrive via Dan Bank, in fact the council had painted the low railings that used to run down Dan Dank in preparation for her visit. Local people were talking about how hard the painters had worked which was sadly to no avail. This was a long standing source of amusement for local people and to this day may locals remember the confusion the change of plans caused on that day.    If I remember correctly her route into Marple was changed at the last Min and she arrived via Hazel Grove and departed along Cross Lane up on to Hibbert Lane.  The same happened when prince Charles came to Marple many years later. he too arrived via Hawk Green.   When I was at primary school in the 1960s (Peacefield) we were taught all about the long running problem with Royalty and Marple.  The issues are surrounding the land that the Bradshaws owned IE Marple Hall and the  surrounding area which Dan Bank is part of.  Judge Bradshaw of Marple Hall was the first signature on the death warrent for King Charles 1   The King was later beheaded.   From that point in time Royalty have had issues with this part of Marple.  I now live at the top of Dan bank on Stockport Road and The deeds of my house have clear instructions from the days the land was owned by the Bradshaws.  For example no worship can take place in the dwelling or the land, the list is endless. Hope this helps 

Dave

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 07:47:06 AM »
..... the ongoing issues of the Royal Family still refusing to enter Marple via Dan Bank. 

I don't know about McNair Court, but I'm intrigued by this reference.  Tell us more, Miss Marple!  (According to this link - http://www.marplecivicsociety.org.uk/Possett%20Bridge%20History%20_updated_.pdf - the Queen certainly arrived via Dan Bank when she last visited Marple 40 years ago.)