Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Queen's route to Marple in 1968.  (Read 7643 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Queen's route to Marple in 1968.
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2022, 05:56:35 AM »
Rest in peace HM Queen Elizabeth II.

Here's a collage of images from the Queen's visit to Marple in May 1968 at Possett Bridge, where King Charles III, then Prince of Wales, also visited in 1981 for the launch of New Horizons:

https://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=69

It's nice to be reminded of the late Ray Noble when finding this old thread.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 07:46:28 PM »
Posset was the name of the drink supplied by the Navigation to the labourers (navies) to ward of the cold. Posset- a mixture of hot milk. beer and spices. Look in "Last Orders Please" by Jack Turnbull. Ray.

heather

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »
its the canal bridge near the recreation ground,or as you are leaving marple for new mills its just after the edge restaraunt, or next to where marple liberal club  stood

BrokenBiscuit

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 04:08:04 PM »
Ray, (or anyone for that matter), where exactly is Possett Bridge? I've probably discovered it on one of my many adventures as a young boy but I don't know it by name.

/edit : forget that, a little googling got me the answer. It's the one with the little arched footway under the road at the corner of Stockport Rd, Strines Road? Where they used to lead their barge horses under the road. Apparently that point in marple is coincidentally 427 ft above sea level (same as Marple's phone number).

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »
My daughter attended Rose Hill Primary School in 1968 and remembers standing on Stockport road between Elmfield Drive and the Lollypop crossing watching the Queen go past on her way to Posset Bridge. Ray

heather

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »
marple and marple hall is the topic of many myths  maybe we should air as many as the older generation can remember before its to late

heather

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 06:12:40 PM »
as the hall came down in the late 50s it wouldnt have mattered in 1968    if i have made any errors in my grammer i am sure they will be corrected

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Queen's route to Marple in 1968.
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 07:44:51 AM »
I wasn't here in 1968, so can't contribute any first hand experience, but we seem to have two different recollections of the day from local people who were. Miss Marple says that the route was changed at the last minute and the Queen didn't come up Dan Bank into Marple, yet Hilary remembers standing at the top of Dan Bank and waving to her.

Are there any others who can contribute first hand recollections of the Queen's visit and the route that she took (or Prince Charles in 1981 too)?

By the way, I've split this out as a separate topic to the orginal Macnair Court one.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 01:01:46 AM »
I know we are getting off my subject of Mcnair Court but I was present when the Queen came to Marple  I was at Peacefield School and she did not and would not come up Dan Bank and nor did Prince Charles when he visited many years later.  As I said at first the route was to be up Dan Bank but it was changed at the last min.  What other Hall in this area was left to looters and abandoned by the council   It was a sin to see  one of the doors hanging in the Bowling Green Pub.  There are many local people in Marple who boast about having relics from the Hall.   

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »
This is way off the original topic but never mind!

By coincidence we have recently come into possession of some photos of the Queen's visit to Marple in 1968. These were provided by Jim Graves and passed on to us by Hilary Atkinson of Marple Local History Society. They now have their own album on the Virtual Tour: http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=69

Hilary has also advised us that "Whilst I cannot find anything in the archives about any possible visit in the 1950s or earlier, I can advise that when the Queen visited on 16th May 1968, the route from Stockport was up Dan Bank, along Stockport Rd through Rose Hill and up to Possett Bridge.  The route is set out in the North Cheshire Herald dated 17th May 1968.  It also states that 1500 students from Marple Hall School stood at the top of Dan Bank to welcome her.  I know this to be true as I was one of them!"

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andy+kirsty

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 02:52:46 PM »
They didn't enter Marple then did they? They only passed by.

They didn't enter Marple then did they. They only passed by.

There you go, fixed it for you. I'm not sure which one you wanted to use.

mdavisstockportexpress

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »
it would be intesresting to hear a bit more about this marple/royal feud, if anyone has info such as what they were told at school, want the legend is etc if they could get in contact with me that would be much appreciated

Matt Davis

Matthew Davis
Reporter
MEN media
0161 211 2947
mdavis@menwn.co.uk
Number 1 Scott Place, Manchester, M3 3RN

heather

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 07:48:04 PM »
they didnt enter marple then did they they only past by

sgk

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 11:47:39 PM »
the tale  went that royalty wouldnt visit marple while the hall was ocupied by desendants of judge bradshaw or while the hall stood

But as Ray recalls, in the 1940s that's exactly what they did.  Which is why I'm a bit sceptical about the notion that the Royal Family still have 'issues' with Marple.  In the past, maybe. 

This is getting off the subject of McNair Court - but it's interesting isn't it.   :)

Well, we've seen Craig Cash and Caroline Aherne appear in Marple, i.e. part of the Royle Family, does that count?  ;D

Dave

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 07:55:41 AM »
the tale  went that royalty wouldnt visit marple while the hall was ocupied by desendants of judge bradshaw or while the hall stood

But as Ray recalls, in the 1940s that's exactly what they did.  Which is why I'm a bit sceptical about the notion that the Royal Family still have 'issues' with Marple.  In the past, maybe. 

This is getting off the subject of McNair Court - but it's interesting isn't it.   :)