To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Old Super market next to The Bookers?  (Read 13141 times)

heather

Re: Old Super market next to The Bookers?
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 11:17:46 PM »
i only remember it being called liptons :)

sooty2

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 01:38:24 AM »
Maypole supermarkets were bought out by Liptons.I found it on the net.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 08:44:11 AM »
It was never Mace or Maypole  I agree with  maronbf3.  RAY & THE MISSES

sooty2

original name of supermarket
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 07:26:25 PM »
Hi, does anyone know the original name of the old Hanburys supermarket? I think it was called Maypole. Please think hard it was in the sixties.

sooty2

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 07:20:56 PM »
If you are sure it wasnt a Maypole have you any idea what it was? I have checked on the net and found that maypole were a supermarket chain in the sixties.

maronbf3

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 11:05:10 PM »
It was never a Maypole or Mace. I was part of the appliance shop (Bramwell & Singleton) next to Barclays Bank for a few years.

sooty2

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 12:49:34 AM »
Hi, does anyone remember it being called Maypole. Come on you over 50s  someone must,I dont remember it being a Mace.

maronbf3

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 12:02:22 AM »
The supermarket on the Hollins was the first building to be occupied on the parade by John Williams, the multipule grocers in the Stockport/Cheshire area. John Williams had two shops in Marple, one on Market Street between Whites Butchers (which was then Rodgers Butchers) and Astleys Newsagents. The other shop was where Dolce Vita resteraunt is now. They moved across the road when the new supermarket was built, it had a cafe upstairs when first opened but that soon closed down because all the local youths were using it, buying a cup of tea and spend all day using it as a youth club. Those same youths will be grandparents now. 

sooty2

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 07:32:05 PM »
I didnt think you were mark. I  used you to go in the cafe when I was a child with my aunt after she had visited Pamelas hairdressers for her weekly "Set" as she called it. It was then sprayed with laquer out of a squirty bottle. Pamelas hairdressers was over one of the shops across from Co Op electrical store as it is now called.It may of been over part of the co op buildings that included a smelly fish shop and I think a furniture store  and the grocery shop at the end near Market street. Pamela then moved on to Derby Way. My memory is on its way out these days being a 50 something, but I can remember the names of lots of the Market street shops. I can still smell the ground coffee and smoked bacon that you could buy from what I think was called Gore and Wilsons. Oh Happy Days !!!!!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 07:07:12 PM »
I meant it was called Maypole in the sixties in my earlier post.

Sorry Sooty2, I wasn't disagreeing with you, just adding a bit more info. It seems to have changed hands / branding a number of times over the years. Does anyone ever use it now? I keep meaning to go in and have a look at what they're selling but when I go past it has always slipped my mind  ???
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sooty2

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 01:08:16 PM »
In 1978 it was definitely Liptons as we have photographic evidence: http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?pos=-2602

Please note that I've edited the last two posts below to get rid of the spurious code text that was appearing in the quotes. This was there because these replies were orginally posted before the forum was converted from Iconboard software to Simple Machines Forum (SMF) that is used now.
[/quote                                                                                                                                                                 I meant it was called Maypole in the sixties in my earlier post.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 06:32:18 AM »
In 1978 it was definitely Liptons as we have photographic evidence: http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?pos=-2602

Please note that I've edited the last two posts below to get rid of the spurious code text that was appearing in the quotes. This was there because these replies were orginally posted before the forum was converted from Iconboard software to Simple Machines Forum (SMF) that is used now.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sooty2

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 11:20:57 PM »
When I was at school in the 1960's I used to have a part time job working at this supermarket after school & on Saturdays, This was before it became a Mace supermarket, pre-Hanburys. Does anybody remember the original name of it?

I am 99 per cent sure this supermarket was originally called the Maypole.

Diane Chew

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 12:35:14 AM »
Hanburys was the first shop to open on the Hollins in 1963 when John Williams transferred from across the road where the Italian restaurant is now. John Williams also had a smaller shop on Market Street which was taken over by Boots the Chemist. It is now one of the fancy goods shops in that block. Boots then moved over the road to the new shops which were built on the site of the old chapel and adjacent cottages after Garsides of Glossop moved out.
The supermarket on the Hollins occupied by John Williams    had a purpose built cafe over the front of the first floor, the back of which was a large storeroom. They closed the cafe down after a few months because it was used all day by youngsters who occupied the tables for hours with one cup of tea. This deterred older customers from using the cafe. Those youngsters will most likely be grandparents themselves now.
The supermarket has changed leaseholders a few times over the years. I understand that the Co-op bought the lease from Hanburys then closed it down. They will still be the leaseholders and paying the rent. They are protecting their interests by not transferring the lease to any business trading in any goods that they market. Anybody any idea what they don't sell?. Remember at one time a lot of shops on Market Street ceased trading when the Co-op moved into bigger premises extending the goods they sell to just about everything. The shops that have survived offer a personal service which the Co-op will never do.
<<it was used ... by youngsters who occupied the tables for hours with one cup of tea>>.Tee hee! I was one of those youngsters. We used to go in there when we got off the bus from Marple Hall Grammar School - My parents hit the roof when they forund out!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Old Super market next to The Bookers?
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 07:50:44 AM »
Yes, slightly confusing though as under 18th October 2004 it also says:

Rent reviews have been agreed, (unit 2 - mid 2005 and unit 1 - mid 2008) and the CO OP confirms they will not be renewing their interest in the lease on these dates.

So we may have another year yet, depending which is right.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website