A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Tree Felling Along Train Lines  (Read 4511 times)

Lisa Oldham

Re: Tree Felling Along Train Lines
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 01:37:50 PM »
whenever there is work on the line.... we get LOADS of blokes wandering around,  quite a few appearing to do B***** all, and a big noisy "train" that goes with them.  I gather its a maintenance train..
I know we dont get leaves on the line... cos i look ;)

Belly

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 10:16:13 PM »
this is national happening everywhere. and its not just silver birch,  in places its every single tree.  what i cant understand is why they decide to cut everything down in one place.. then not touch anything in the next...
so all along rosehill line a significant number removed .. luckily for us they stopped just b4 our house ... then along clifton drive.. nothing removed ( as per plan) then beyond Everything removed!! no difference in the lay of the land.. size of embankment certainly not wildlife as the rosehill Line has the huge B set! or types of trees.. so what sense can be made of that?
and for those who actually believe the leaves on trains... living next door to the line i can safely say the leaves NEVER collect on the line or prevent any train at an time getting through.. have never seen any equipment out clearing leaves in all the 7 years Ive lived here!!! thats not to say it doesnt happen somewhere but it seems to me some bureaucratic Twit has put a nationwide policy in place in order to prevent a very small problem that occurs here and there... madness and very damaging!!

What we do have a problem with now.. and Im toying with the idea of putting a claim into Network Rail just for the hell of it... We are now totally overwhelmed by Balsam!!  2 years ago we had none.. then they cut the first trees dow n and the embankment was covered. its now invading my garden and I even have it coming up in the lawn!!

When I used to live behind the rail line to Rose Hill you would regulalry hear the 'leaf train' run down and back at about midnight. At least thats what i assume it was - i never actually saw it!

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 11:24:02 PM »
this is national happening everywhere. and its not just silver birch,  in places its every single tree.  what i cant understand is why they decide to cut everything down in one place.. then not touch anything in the next...
so all along rosehill line a significant number removed .. luckily for us they stopped just b4 our house ... then along clifton drive.. nothing removed ( as per plan) then beyond Everything removed!! no difference in the lay of the land.. size of embankment certainly not wildlife as the rosehill Line has the huge B set! or types of trees.. so what sense can be made of that?
and for those who actually believe the leaves on trains... living next door to the line i can safely say the leaves NEVER collect on the line or prevent any train at an time getting through.. have never seen any equipment out clearing leaves in all the 7 years Ive lived here!!! thats not to say it doesnt happen somewhere but it seems to me some bureaucratic Twit has put a nationwide policy in place in order to prevent a very small problem that occurs here and there... madness and very damaging!!

What we do have a problem with now.. and Im toying with the idea of putting a claim into Network Rail just for the hell of it... We are now totally overwhelmed by Balsam!!  2 years ago we had none.. then they cut the first trees dow n and the embankment was covered. its now invading my garden and I even have it coming up in the lawn!!

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:16:39 AM »
Glad to see its not just me! This is making local news:

Residents claim badger cubs are being put at risk
by Jennifer Williams
April 15, 2009

NEW-born badger cubs are being put at risk by the actions of Network Rail, claim Stockport residents - who have reported the company to the police.

People who live in a conservation area say they were horrified to witness the way in which the company is currently felling trees, which they claim breaks several laws designed to protect badgers.

One resident says his garden has been visited nightly by the creatures for decades, but claims setts have now been blocked by debris dumped during tree felling.

However, a spokesman for Network Rail confirmed that an official from Natural England, the national conservation body, had visited the site and said the company hadn’t broken any rules.

Residents were so concerned they reported the situation to the police shortly before the Easter weekend.

Phil Rowbotham, chair of a local residents’ association, who has led much of the protests on behalf of the surrounding streets, said: "A resident was horrified to see that badger sett entrances had been blocked with cut branches."

The row is the latest twist in a tale that started in January, when residents were told thousands of trees were to be destroyed in the area. The company had obtained a permit from the national organisation Natural England, in order to carry out work near badger setts along the railway cuttings.

It was the terms of this license that residents claim have been broken, at just the time of year that badger cubs are being born.

A spokesman for Natural England said a member of the organisation’s Wildlife Licensing Team had been to visit the site.

She added: "Our concern is whether the work has been done within the terms of the licensing agreement."

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said it is aware of an ongoing dispute between residents and Network Rail over badger setts.

He added: "The incident has been referred to British Transport Police as the railway line falls within their remit. However GMP’s wildlife officer has been made aware of the situation and will be speaking to the residents in due course
."

Article taken from: http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/news/s/1108486_residents_claim_badger_cubs_are_being_put_at_risk

Neil Smith

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 07:14:06 PM »
They may not have been problem on dan bank if the trees had been cut down in the first place

Very good point Amazon. In one hand we need the trees to keep banks together and stopping slippage but in the other the roots do so much damage >:(

amazon

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:03:22 AM »
They may not have been problem on dan bank if the trees had been cut down in the first place

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:40:40 AM »
They seem to be taking it further back than the trees that over hang the track though? Won't this just create a new problem now by making the banks themselves unstable? Won't surface water (granted in high quantities) cause surface disturbance and push soil towards the tracks? With the trees in places the roots hold a lot of the earth in situ.

I don't know, just seems a shame, we get hounded to reduce our carbon footprint, recycle everything, be green, and then they can lop a load of trees down.  :-\

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:24:29 AM »
The felling seems to be drastic at present, but that is because the necessary maintenance has not been done for many years.  It is unfortunately necessary, and the trees involved are mostly self-set birches.  You never know - there might be less delays due to 'leaves on the line' in future! 

nbt

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:05:30 AM »
so the tree branches don't overhang the train lines and the roots don't interfere with the tracks.. The roots in particular could cause instability on an embankment such as that near strines
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Tree Felling Along Train Lines
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:52:57 AM »
Why are trees being felled alongside both sets of train tracks around marple? It seems such a shame to be losing a great wildlife habitat and area of undisturbed woodland.

Just wondered if anyone knew a specific reason why.

Thanks  ???