Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Place Name  (Read 4115 times)

useful

Re: Goddard's
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 11:07:31 AM »
Hi Ray,

I have had a reply back from Marlene's Husband in Spain and it is as I thought it would be, Marlene does not recall anything of any ues to us, her Husband says that he does not know anything that would help us, ( don't think he can be bothered ).

So it looks like we have come to a stop with this for now.

I also think that the family that lived in Derbyshire might have been Harry Goddards wife's family they was called Holme, Harry's wife was called Anne/Annie Holme, I have tried to find a marrige cert for them but cant and don't even know where they got married or what year. I have also tried to find Elaine & Marlene's Birth/Certs as Harry's only two known Children, but can't find that either, then tried to find Elaine & Marlene's marrige certs but no luck there either, Elaine Married Thomas Jordan on or after Feb 1959 and Marlene Married Scott James in the 70's but cant find any of this out, I even tried to find my marrige cert to Ian Jordan and divorce cert fro him but cant fine that either.

I am stuck now Ray, I have tried to fine Harry Goddard's Orbit in the MEN and Local papers, as I know there was one and that it contained other Family names but no luck with that either.

Don't know what else to do now Ray but thank you for all your help.

Hilary

useful

Re: Place Name
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 02:28:17 PM »
Hi Ray, Have just got you P/message and have just sent you one in return.

Thanks
Hilary

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 10:09:25 AM »
Hilary. Did you get the personal message I sent yesterday. Ray

useful

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 09:26:29 PM »
 :)Thanks Ray, you are great, I have been trying to find out about the Buckingham Goddard familes for ages My Children are Harry Goddard's G,G,Granchildren and I want to collect as much info for them to keep as a reminder of what they had, Only Marlene Harry's Daughter is left of the one's that knew about Buckingham & Goddard and Marlene now lives in Spain but has not been well for quite awhile. I cant afford to keep paying these places to do searches and then pay for Birth & Death certs.

But Thank you Ray you have helped me very much it gives me another place to look, and another name to add.

Hilary

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 03:33:04 PM »
Not sure where he is buried. Albert and his wife lived in Well Cottage in the 1960s. I have made some enquires and he was related to the Goddard of Buckingham & Goddard haulage contractors Derby street. Ray.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 02:47:48 PM »
What a great story Ray! Where is Albert's tombstone now? Is he buried at All Saints'?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 02:15:33 PM »
I have never seen a picture of Well Cottage. In the1940/50s Albert and his wife lived somewhere in Chadkirk.  The upstairs of Well cottage was used as his workshop and down stairs he kept hens, ducks, geese and about a dozen cats. The upstairs workshop was entered by a little wooden  bridge from the pavement on Church street and just inside the door for everyone to see was his Tombstone he had made, it said everything except the date he was going to die. Ray

useful

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »
Thank again Ray, do you know if Albert Goddard was related to Harry Goddard as it was Marlene one of Harry's daughters who asked me to fine out what I can about this Well Cottage, also do you know if there are any photo's on site of this Cottage.

You have been a great help.
Hilary

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:07:20 PM »
Well cottage  owned by the stonemason Albert Goddard. Ray

useful

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:47:14 PM »
Thanks Ray for the link about Victoria Place.

Got another one for you if you can help? Do you know what the little cottage was called that used to be where the Con club car park  is now.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 11:03:33 AM »
  If you go to this.  http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx  and then the O.S. 1875 Map you will see a area behind the shops on Market street called Victoria Place. Ray

useful

Place Name
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:42:32 PM »
Anyone know if Market Street Marple was ever called Victoria Place.

I have lived in Marple all my life and have only just noticed 2 wall signs near David Whites says Market Street and a few shops up Says Victoria Place.

Useful