Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: Mystery of the one ended canal tunnel  (Read 2781 times)

Water Rat

Re: Mystery of the one ended canal tunnel
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 12:53:13 PM »
... Just to add to this topic - and the excellent article already on the web site - the IWPS December 2011 newsletter has reprinted an article on the locks and the tramway from the early 80's.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 04:04:33 PM »
The tunel referred to was open when I was a kid, i know this because I p fell into the canel under it and got stuck in the mud at the bottom of the water, it was pure luck that my friend managed to find a man who pulled me out otherwise I would not be typing this!

I heard that another boy drowned under there and it was then that it was closed and filled in.
When I was a girl in the early '50s there was a spur and a sort of pond or turning area which went about as far as the "new" houses near the junction of Stockport Road and Strines Road. It was derelict and weedy and it was filled in and the houses built and the grass verge just by the locks created (possibly in the 1960s or early '70s?).

I can't remember the drowning but I wouldn't be at all surprised. I was brought up to have a healthy respect for the canal!

Neil Smith

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »
The dead end tunnel was our best fishing location in the early 80s  ;D

the rover

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:32 AM »
The tunel referred to was open when I was a kid, i know this because I p fell into the canel under it and got stuck in the mud at the bottom of the water, it was pure luck that my friend managed to find a man who pulled me out otherwise I would not be typing this!

I heard that another boy drowned under there and it was then that it was closed and filled in.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »
and more specifically.. here  ;)

http://www.marple-uk.com/locks/bridge18.htm

Ah yes, but then it appears outside of the frame and marpudlian will not realise he can tour the entire set of locks via the map without leaving his computer chair. Make sure you follow the link to the Lime Kilns article too  :)
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Tricky

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:26:54 AM »
and more specifically.. here  ;)

http://www.marple-uk.com/locks/bridge18.htm
meh

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:27:58 AM »
Disappointed that you haven't investigated this on the main site.

Try a Virtual Tour of the Locks: www.marple-uk.com/locks/

The answers are all there.........
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marpudlian

Mystery of the one ended canal tunnel
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:33:28 AM »
Where the canal in Marple passes under Stockport Road, next to the park, there are two tunnels visible on one side of the bridge but only one emerges on the other side. What happened to the other one?  ???