To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Over 60s swim for free  (Read 3924 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Over 60s swim for free
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 02:41:46 PM »
Alan,

Just got back from a few days away or would have replied earlier. If you wish for Cllr. Alexander to confirm something like this then you need to approach her directly yourself as I cannot act as an intermediary for everyones enquiries. Her contact details are:

1 Crown Street, Hawk Green, Stockport. SK6 7JH
Tel. No. 0161-427-4419
Fax. 0161-449-8095
Email. cllr.shan.alexander@stockport.gov.uk

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

alan@marple

Re: Over 60s swim for free
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:50:24 AM »

On Saturday 14th March at 10.35am I spoke on the telephone to the manager at Marple baths. I wanted to know how much "The small administration charge" was for registering for the over 60's swim and fitness scheme starting on the 1st April.

Not withstanding councillor Alexander's reported announcement and words of encouragement for the over 60's to register in advance, I was told by him that nothing had yet been decided and he could not advise me on the admin fee, nor indeed if the scheme was to be implemented.

I said that I had read a report that the scheme was to start on 1st April, he replied " well there's three weeks to go, and we have not been informed"

I was advised that for me to swim it would be £1.69  approx.

Mark, could you please ask Mrs Alexander to confirm?

wolfman

Over 60s swim for free
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »
From 1st April 2009, over 60’s will be able to swim for free in all Stockport Council owned swimming pools throughout the borough, as part of the Active Stockport campaign.

The two year trial aims to get more residents more active more often. It is part of the Government’s London 2012 initiative to encourage physical activity by allowing free access for over 60’s to swimming pools.

The scheme will be available at the following pools:

Grand Central Pools

Target Fitness + Cheadle

Target Fitness + Hazel Grove

Target Fitness + Romiley

Target Fitness Avondale

Target Fitness Marple
Councillor Shan Alexander, Executive Member for Leisure, said: “The Council is delighted to be able to offer free swimming to the over 60’s. Swimming is an exercise particularly suited to older people. For the initial two year period, I would urge all those that are eligible for free swimming to take part in this opportunity as part of their regular physical activity programme.”

To take part in the scheme, residents must prove eligibility and register at any of the pools above. Residents are now able to register for the scheme in advance. A small administration charge will apply.

For further information visit your local swimming pool, call Stockport Sports Trust on 0161 495 3610 or visit www.sportinstockport.com