Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: DVLA selling your info  (Read 3324 times)

wolfman

Re: DVLA selling your info
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 05:44:54 PM »
As a law abiding citizen I would have to tell lies to do as you suggest, however I can't see a criminal being much bothered about  telling lies or anything else. We all  know the governments record on keeping safe our details.

Tricky

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Why don't you try and find out?  See how far you get.

meh

wolfman

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:08:05 AM »
And everybody complies don't they?

Tricky

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 11:32:08 PM »
Here is the guidance mentioned in my previous post..   

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/its_your_information_dvla_vehicle_information_final.pdf

(sorry for the double post but I couldn't edit my previous one for some reason)

meh

Tricky

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 11:24:09 PM »

OUT-LAW News, 04/09/2007

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) may pass on individuals’ personal details if there is good reason, such as the prevention or detection of crime, according to guidance published today by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

The guidance explains to individuals the circumstances where the information might be shared without breaking data protection rules.

The DVLA keeps a register containing details of all vehicles licensed for use on the road and can pass details from the register to a third party for a number of legitimate reasons. That might be to identify vehicles on the road to help prevent and detect crime, to investigate suspected insurance fraud, to improve road safety or to ensure that vehicles are properly taxed.

Although the DVLA does not have to obtain permission before passing an individual’s details to other people, the person or organisation requesting the information must prove that they have ‘reasonable cause’ to obtain an individual’s details.

For example, a company requesting information to enforce parking fees must also provide evidence that a parking charge scheme actually exists and that drivers are made aware that the scheme is in force.

“The DVLA passes on information from its register to third parties for a variety of legitimate reasons," said Phil Jones, Assistant Commissioner at the ICO. "However, the person or organisation requesting the information must always provide evidence to the DVLA which shows why their request is reasonable. It is an offence under the Data Protection Act to unlawfully obtain information, for example by misleading the DVLA as to why the information is required.”

meh

wolfman

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:07:45 PM »
The problem is that the bad guys for the price of £2.50 can get from your car reg. your name and address.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »
So what's the problem?   ???  Surely this DVLA service is useful.  I have certainly found it useful to be able to contact a previous owner of a second hand car I was considering buying.

wolfman

DVLA selling your info
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:41:46 AM »
The DVLA are making £4.000000 a year selling the details of car owners at £2.50 a time.  When you sign the registration document you give them permission to do so and you cannot refuse to sign.