Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: 4.000 council staff get extra day off  (Read 6373 times)

bat man

Re: 4.000 council staff get extra day off
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 05:11:41 PM »
Its nt just about doing your job but going the extra mile :o

Dave

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »
Sadly that doesn't apply to local authority staff, only to *ankers.   ;)

Neil Smith

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 02:11:17 PM »
If you did not do a good job then I am sure you would be penalised in some way.

Yes you would get to retire at 50 and get a pension of £650,000

Dave

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 10:43:53 AM »
The report states that they are not just doing a 'good' job they are doing an 'outstanding' one.

I agree that not everything about SMBC is perfect, but I still think the day off could turn out to be a shrewd move, which might eventually improve the service.  Motivated staff with high morale often perform better that depressed, demoralised staff.  Give them a bit of 'feelgood factor' and maybe we'll all feel the benefit? 

the rover

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 08:30:09 AM »
I don't understand some companies! At my recent yearly Appraisal I was told that I had done a good job for the company that I work for, but as they rightly stated 'that is what they pay me for'. How can a company reward people for doing what they are paid to do, a good job. If you did not do a good job then I am sure you would be penalised in some way. How can the council award 4000 people a day off for doing what they are paid to do?
Can somebody please explain this to me, why would a company employ people not to do a good job. Ok! if they excelled beyond doing a good job then they should be rewarded, but Stockport Council!!!!! I look around Marple, Offerton,Stockport, Hazel Grove etc and see all the footpaths, roads, rubbish, street lights not working for years etc, etc, and think are we talking about the same council??????

jcc

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »
I assume those that pay council tax will be funding the day off. A more important point is that a day off for 4000 staff equates to employing an additional 15 staff for a whole year. Stockport council is obviously over-staffed if it can allow staff the time off and don't need the additional 15 staff. Councils, even apparently good ones do stupid things!

andy+kirsty

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »
so only teachers work in education?

Dave

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 01:50:11 AM »
Well I'm not a teacher, but the teachers I know work all hours God sends, and it doesn't seem right to give a reward to other employees and then exclude one group from it.  And anyway, 'school based employees' includes many staff who have the same annual leave as other town hall staff - caretakers, office staff, lab assistants etc.  Why are they left out?   :'(

Neil Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »
'The day off will only apply to non-school based employees'

Why?  Didn't the school based people do their bit too?   ???

No they get days off every 6 weeks for min of 1 week, is that not enough.

And before anyone gets on the band wagon, I do think teachers do a great job and I know they work hard.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 03:59:14 PM »
'The day off will only apply to non-school based employees'

Why?  Didn't the school based people do their bit too?   ???

wolfman

4.000 council staff get extra day off
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 03:18:22 PM »
Day off reward for success at council
Peter Devine
March 04, 2009

MORE than 4,000 council staff have been given an extra day off in recognition of their efforts to make Stockport Council an oustanding authority.

The additional holiday was decided on at a meeting of Stockport Council last Thursday, and is a reward for it being declared ‘a four-star council and improving strongly’.

The new rating, which will be declared tomorrow by the Corporate Performance Assessment (CPA), puts Stockport among some of the top performing councils in the UK.

In a report the day off was recommended on the following grounds:

"The granting of this one off extra day’s leave is a fitting recognition of the hard work that our employees have shown over recent years in helping the council to maintain its excellent rating."

The day off will only apply to non-school based employees which total 4,166. The Lib-Dem Council Leader Councillor Dave Goddard said: "Stockport has been on a journey performance-wise for the past 10 years and this is a culmination where we will be declared among the top 10 per cent in the country.

"Our staff deliver over 600 services, and I see no reason why they should not be rewarded for all their hard work."

Coun Peter Scott, the Labour leader told the Stockport Express he was less certain as to whether days off should be granted when people outside the local authority were faced with redundancy.

He commented: "We are a little bit concerned about the cost of this and if a day off is the best way of rewarding staff.

"Elsewhere in Stockport people are losing their jobs while the council is giving their staff a day off."

As the debate became more heated, Coun Goddard responded by adding: "Coun Scott’s view beggars belief.

"And is completely untenable and childish."

from Stockport express online