Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Iron bridge bronze plaque  (Read 2139 times)

Lisa Oldham

Re: Iron bridge bronze plaque
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
THanks for the reply Mark...

The only thing i mght add after showing it to my 4 year old :)
is what about a small step for people/kids to stand on.... not so big it blocks the view of he stump but enough so kids can take a closer look

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Iron bridge bronze plaque
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »
I'm pleased that you like it Lisa. I know I've mentioned it before but I get a real buzz out of seeing the web site logo cast in bronze  8)

I can answer some of your points fully but others I will need to confirm with the Council's Project Manager.

The plaque is bonded to the stump with epoxy resin, not just across its surface but also via threaded rods penetrating deep into the stump. The grey grout / filler that you can see around the edge is just filling the gaps between the wood and the casting. So we may have missed a trick with the angle the plaque is sitting but it can't be tilted any further and it's not going to be possible to remove it without a lot of damage. It was done this way because bronze is quite nickable and we wanted to make it very hard to steal (I understand that prices of scrap metal have dropped recently, like everything else, and this is not such a high risk now).

Regarding the barriers, this is something we made a fuss about early on, soon after they were originally fitted. My understanding is that we are still waiting for the sculptor to finish the carving and treat the stump and the current barriers have been left as they are to provide him with the access he needs. I'm expecting the barriers to be improved and to allow you to get much closer once that is done but I will confirm this with the PM to make sure I have understood the situation properly.

If the barriers are improved the way I envisage then it may alleviate some of the discomfort you experienced when reading it. I hope so.

To finish on a positive note, we still have to fit a listening post near to the plaque. This will allow people to press a button and hear the text on the plaque being read aloud. Although this is intended to make the information available to the blind or partially sighted it will also benefit the disabled and anyone else who is not able to get close enough to read it comfortably.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Lisa Oldham

Iron bridge bronze plaque
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 01:39:57 PM »
Got to say this is the loveliest information board I've ever seen and thats not taking into account the wonderful  "stump"

However when I went down there the other day and tried to read it ...with children.. got to say I found it really difficult... not the words, i managed that as did they but the angle and height of it...

Its on a plaster(?) type plinth... can the plaque not be tilted more?  I felt as a relatively average to tall person (5'7" ) that was leaning over the edge to see it .. it didnt feel comfortable!!

Also is there any plans for further barriers... not at top.. that would ruin the view of the stump just wondering behind and down from the stump? not cos i think me or my kids will fall in.. just standing there but.. if children try and read the plague as i hope and are sure they will then...