Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Marple Wharf Development  (Read 50795 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Marple Wharf Development
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 06:14:48 PM »
To clarify my own views on this, I don’t object to the construction of houses and I understand that they are essential to bring in the finance needed to do anything with the area.

What I do object to is the wholesale turning over of the complete site to housing without a thought for the local community, the boating community and the facilities that they need and also the turfing out of New Horizons from their long established berth in Marple.

I believe that the listed warehouse could be used for the purposes I’ve already described and that could be funded by the building of new properties. This way the facilities for boaters and for New Horizons could be improved rather than taken away and the waterway would be improved for the greater public benefit. This is one of British Waterways key objectives. The following text is taken from their own web site:

Delivering Public Benefit http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/our-work/delivering-public-benefit
Our waterways provide many non-financial benefits for the nation, and our work includes partnering organisations such as Local Authorities and Regional Development Agencies to enhance local public amenities and provide greater public benefit.

Increasing numbers of people are choosing our accessible waterway towpaths to perform their daily routines such as walking the dog, taking gentle healthy exercise and a traffic-free commute to work. We also provide access and good value facilities for canoeists and anglers, as well as a range of educational tools for schools.

Alongside this we are guardians of a 200-year-old living and working heritage, and carefully look after the enormous amount of wildlife that resides on and beside our waterways.

We do all of this with sustainability in mind, and so our outstanding national asset is well-kept for future generations to enjoy.

There are several examples of areas that have had much more sympathetic treatment than is proposed for Marple Wharf. With our historic and listed flight of locks that was saved by the determination of community groups I think that Marple Wharf merits similar treatment.

Hatton Locks
Probably one of the best-known Industrial Archaeology locations in South Warwickshire is the flight of locks at Hatton. Now in excellent condition and also serving as a mini heritage centre, (with excellent tea room), follow this links for some winter shots of the locks taken early in 2008. http://www.warwickshireias.org/hattonlocks.htm

Fradley Junction
A busy junction with a pub, boatyard, chandlery and gift shop. There are BW offices plus a water point, sanitary station and toilets down one lock to the east of the junction. http://www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bin/gazette.cgi?where=$u683 (you will have to paste the $u683 bit onto the link after you've clicked it).

Anderton Boatlift http://www.andertonboatlift.co.uk/Visitors%20Area/About%20Us/yourvisit.html

To me the proposals for Marple Wharf are all take and no give. I would be much happier if BW were meeting a few more of their objectives and critera that they brag about on their web site.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Barbara

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 09:46:25 AM »
Depends whether 'affordable homes' start at a minimum of £250,000 which is what I was quoted by one of the development team.  By the time they are built (if at all!) I imagine the price will be considerably more than that.

Dave

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 08:27:33 AM »
I had a look at the proposals the other day and I think they are good.  That short stretch of the canal between Top Lock and Church Lane is very run down - it's the last really grotty bit of canalside left in Marple.  The proposed housing looks appropriate, and I think the area will benefit from this plan.  And by the look of them they should be 'affordable homes', which are badly needed.

Obviously a new berth will have to be found for the New Horizons boat, but I should imagine that there are some possible options nearby.

While acknowledging that those living in the immediate vicinity will inevitably have their concerns, I think the points listed above can be addressed, and in some cases they are less than convincing. 

For example, as the BW office is a listed building, it can only be converted in a sympathetic way which does not damage its external appearance.   OK, in an ideal world we might prefer to see BW convert the office into a visitor centre or cafe, but that option is not on the table and in the current financial climate I doubt whether it ever could be.  In the real world, the viability of this proposal will almost certainly depend on the value of the housing to make it all stack up financially.   No housing = no improved canalside.

And as for the 'loss of this unique stretch of canal', well, as I suggested above, it is unique, but hardly in a positive sense - in fact, it has become uniquely grotty!   Maybe we should be pleased that BW want to do something about that? 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 08:55:19 PM »
Here's the text of a letter delivered to properties near to the development by concerned local residents last week:

PROPOSED CANALSIDE DEVELOPMENT

Are you aware that British Waterways are planning to develop the area along the canal between the bridge at Top Lock and the bridge near the Ring O’Bells ?

The plan is to convert the BW office into two homes and build a further nine houses along this part of the canal.  This is in addition to the three houses planned at the Ring O’Bells end, for which planning permission has already been granted to another company.

There was a consultation event at the BW office on Friday 30th January.
See overleaf for a copy of a photo of the proposed development on display at the event.

The planners claim this design “will enhance the site and positively contribute to the local area”, and is “an appropriate use that will deliver a positive future for the historic site” and “enhance the setting of the conservation area”.  There appeared to be little support for the scheme at the event, and those present were surprised that more local residents had not been notified of it.

Amongst the many concerns expressed were:
·   conversion of the BW office (a Grade II listed building) into housing;
·   loss of this unique stretch of canal to houses;
·   how would the proposal “positively address the canal” as it does not reflect the local heritage?
·   potential of increased traffic along Lockside, Suttons Lane and Brickbridge Road (despite the planner’s reassurances to the contrary because of planned bollards at the Lockside end);
·   loss of New Horizons boat for the disabled to an alternative location;
·   loss of moorings and facilities for boat users.
What are your views on the proposal?
You can e-mail your views to “enquiries.northwest@britishwaterways.co.uk” or write to
Marple Consultation, H2O Urban LLP, 26 King Street, Manchester, M3 6AY, “ideally before Friday 6 February 2009, but those received in advance of planning submission will be considered”.
Please send a copy to Stockport's Conservation Officer (paul.hartley@stockport.gov.uk), Marple Civic Society and local councillors.
If you did not know about the consultation event you should write to complain about that, too!

Keep an eye on the Marple Website (www.marple-uk.com) for updates
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

alan@marple

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 12:14:24 PM »
I received a circular letter from "BW" about a week before the event, inviting me to attend.
I presume this is because I am a nearby resident.

Barbara

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:27:23 AM »
Very well argued, Mark.  I am sure you speak for a lot of us.
I voiced the opinion that the viewing was very poorly advertised - many people in Marple were completely unaware of it.  I am also concerned about the extra car traffic which would be generated if this development goes ahead as depicted.  The houses all have provision for 2 cars (both of which would be parked on the road somewhere as there is no storage space in the houses so the garage would be used for that!) so there will be probably around 30 extra vehicles in the immediate vicinity.  I also think the density of the housing is too much, and of course there will be even more houses when the former garage site is eventually developed. 
I said that a proper public meeting would have been a better way of introducing this project, so that the plans of both the developers and BW could have been explained properly. 
I look forward to hearing what other people thought.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 10:18:11 AM »
I've moved this topic from Events to Local Issues as I imagine there will be continued local interest. Here's a picture of the proposed development for anyone who wasn't able to make it to the consultation:

There were quite a lot of other people there when I had a look at the plans. I didn't hear anyone express support and there were several quite vocal objections. My own comments submitted to BW are as follows (wishful thinking maybe but it is what I think):

I am disappointed at the proposals to turn the grade II listed warehouse into private dwellings. I believe this building could be much better used by BW to provide services to the boating community and to the public. Such uses could include a heritage centre / boating museum / boating centre / cafe / restaurant / tourist information with the selling of souvenirs and boating supplies.

Removal of the toilet block and sanitary station will make Marple a less attractive stop-off point for passing boaters and reduce the local tourist trade from boating. I believe BW should be seeking to improve the facilities for boaters at Marple, not remove them, and this could be done in conjunction with making the warehouse into a heritage centre / boating museum / boating centre.

I object to the removal of the mooring provided for New Horizons, the narrowboat for the disabled and would not wish to see this excellent charity moved away from Marple. I believe improved facilities for New Horizons could be provided by giving them a mooring alongside the warehouse in conjunction with turning it into a heritage centre / boating museum.

I believe that turning the warehouse into a heritage centre / museum / boating centre may mean less short term profit for BW but would lead to long term benefits for the local community, the boating community and the disabled who would use the New Horizons boat.

I also feel that the separate development of the BW site and the site adjacent to it nearer to Church Lane will be detrimental to the overall impact on the area. It would make far more sense for these two sites to be combined and developed as one by BW.

I understand that New Horizons are keeping their powder dry until they have met with BW in March. If they wish to use the website to publicise their views after this meeting we will be happy to oblige.

What are your views on these development proposals? As usual with these things there is not much time to have a say. If you want to you should email them to enquiries.northwest@britishwaterways.co.uk or write to Marple Consultation, H2O Urban LLP, 26 King Street, Manchester, M3 6AY before Friday 6 February 2009.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

alan@marple

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:51:40 PM »

I would not be surprised if the Church Lane end of the site might eventually be part of the same long term plan.

How nice it would be if Stockport MBC bought the whole site and perhaps entered into a joint venture with other agencies and have the whole area dedicated to leisurely youth activities sea scouts boating etc and of course the New Horizons.

Just a thought

Neil Smith

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 05:57:08 PM »
If I am reading this correct they are trying to develop the yard close to the lockside end. Just an idea (no idea of the admin involved) but what about NH building a purpose built building at the other end (church street/church lane) something like having its own under cover marina into the yard (where the old garage used to be). It may be pie in the sky but it would be sad to see the NH go from Marple.

wolfman

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »
Charity could be sold down river
by Matt Davis
28/ 1/2009

A MARPLE charity that offers canal trips for disabled people may be forced to find a new home if proposals for a new development go ahead.

British Waterways and H20 Urban LLP are looking to redevelop a grade II listed warehouse at Marple Yard, off Lockside, by the Macclesfield canal, into residential accommodation.

But the proposals will affect New Horizons, a charity which moors its 70-foot canal boat on the water by Marple Yard - and the charity has been told it will have to move on after this season finishes.

Marion Eyers, New Horizons’ information officer, said: "We have to be off the mooring by the beginning of next season. It will cause a problem because at the moment we have nowhere else to moor it. We need access for disabled people, wheelchair access, and we need buses to be able to get near the canal and the spot we have on Marple Wharf is perfect. We want to stay in Marple as the community has done a lot to support the charity and many volunteers are from the area. But at the moment we do not know what is available - this new development could cause us problems."

A British Waterways spokesperson confirmed it would be helping New Horizons relocate to a new home.

The refurbishment would involve two units and nine new-build dwellings at the site and a public consultation will be held this Friday (January 30) between 3pm and 7pm in the warehouse to discuss the plans.

Richard Thomas, Development Manager of H2O Urban LLP, said: "Our team has worked hard to develop proposals to ensure the future of the existing buildings on the site through providing some attractive and interesting places for people to live.  We look forward to presenting these proposals to the public and taking the scheme forward for re-development."

alan@marple

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:18:02 PM »

My concern is about the possible increase in road traffic to service the proposed development.

The risk of Lockside, one again becoming a "ratrun" for vehicles avoiding town center to get up Church Lane.

I would offer no objection if either end of the canal yard was closed up permanently to vehicular traffic, with the exception of pedestrian access opening.

Will there be a provision for the "New Horizons" without charge for as long as the vessel is in service?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Marple Wharf Development
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »
British Waterways are planning to redevelop their yard at Marple Wharf, between Bridge no.1 at Top Lock and Bridge no. 2 near to the Ring o' Bells.

The plans will be available for viewing on Friday 30th January 2009 at the warehouse in the yard between 3pm and 7pm.

H2O reps will be available to answer questions.

I understand that these plans will include taking the mooring away from the New Horizon's narrowboat for the disabled, which I don't believe will be a popular decision amongst the people of Marple.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website