Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Roman Bridge  (Read 8686 times)

Dave

Re: Roman Bridge
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »
The Roman Bridge is a grade 2 listed structure.  See this link:  http://maps.stockport.gov.uk/internet/gisshed/infopage.aspx?idno=207
So presumably no-one will be allowed to change the height of the handrails without applying for permission to someone (English Heritage?).

By the way, for the benefit of anyone who, like me, is so ignorant that they don't know what a 'voussoir' is, here is a definition:  voussoir - wedge-shaped stone building block used in constructing an arch or vault.

So now you know!   ;D

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Roman Bridge
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 06:06:38 PM »
If they can do that without changing the bridge then that's a great result in my view. However, I would be concerned about what they might do with the parapets. The legal requirement for mounted horse riders is 1.8m high parapets, which is 5' 11" - taller than the average male adult! I think the aesthetics of the Roman Bridge would be badly damaged if they proposed to comply with this requirement.

Has anyone else seen anything on this?

I have written to the Conservation Officer to ask if he knows what is proposed.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

Roman Bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Things are stirring again down at the Roman Bridge!  Notices have appeared at each end of the path, near Strawberry Hill and on Strines Road, notifying people of the Council's proposal to lift the traffic regulation order banning horses from the bridge.  Here's a link to it:  http://www.stockport.gov.uk/content/transportstreets/trafficserv/tro/Romanbridgerevorder?a=5441

Although it is not clear from the link, I understand that the bridge has recently been surveyed again, and it is now regarded as being sufficiently strong to take the weight of horses.  So subject to this consultation, it appears that the two bollards at the Mellor end of the bridge are to be removed, and horses and their riders will be permitted to cross the bridge again - for the first time for many years.   :)