Archive > Local Issues

Roman Bridge

(1/4) > >>

nbt:
Tiggy, please pass on my thanks to Peter for his efforts, I know it's a hard, demanding and thankless task to do that kind of work and I for one am glad of his efforts. Fingers crossed we continue to see more trails opened to more people

Tiggy:
Yes, I know riders have been using it which shows what an important route it is. Many riders have told me how very useful it is to them because they now have access to a greater network of bridleways. Actually SMBC knew it was being used and didn't have a problem with that. Saturday was the first day that we could arrange the official opening. I know I said horses  crossed the bridge for the first time after the ribbon was cut but this was a little poetic licence!!! I hope you will forgive me for that.

Peter Edwards, Chairman of SEABA has several bridleways which were never recorded as such but have always been used by riders. He is working hard to get them registered on the definitive map as bridleways. Interestingly, Roman Bridge was closed in 1977 for exactly this reason and it was the work of Peter, who found evidence of use and took it to a Public Enquiry in 2002, which has resulted in this wonderful conclusion.

Also there is a big problem on BW 56 on Mill Lane. Tarmac has been laid for half a mile which is unsuitable as a surface for bridleways. The matter is with the ombudsman and we eargerly await her judgement. There are only 12 bridleways in Marple so it is very important to look after them all

Dave:

--- Quote from: Tiggy on May 25, 2009, 11:28:36 AM ---......several horses walked across the bridge for the first time in 32 years..........There are other bridleways under threat in the Marple area.
--- End quote ---

As you say, it's great news, Tiggy.  To be a bit pedantic, actually riders started using the bridge again as soon as the bollards were removed a few weeks ago - and don't tell SMBC, but some of them are riding across rather than dismounting and leading their horses.   :o

By the way, which other bridleways are 'under threat'?

Tiggy:
Roman Bridge is officially open to horses - the champagne opening ceremony on Saturday 23 May 2009 was a joyous occasion indeed. Councillor Sue Ingham officially anounced the bridge open to horses and cyclists and after cutting the ribbon several horses walked across the bridge for the first time in 32 years. Peter Edwards, Chairman of SEABA was guest of honour; he has worked tirelessly for this and other bridleways in our area. Over thirty people witnessed the occasion inluding Sue Hogg, Chairman of the National Federation of Bridleways Associations, Bernard Sewart Proprietor of Roman Lakes Leisure Park and Chairman of Friends of Our Valley and several people who rode over the bridge prior to its closure in 1977.

Riders, cyclists and walkers can all now use this beautiful bridge to cross the River Goyt and access the wide network of bridleways on the east side of the river.

There are other bridleways under threat in the Marple area. You can help to support the work of SEABA in protecting them by becoming a member - Contact Peter Edwards 0161 430 8582

Dave:
Progress report: work has started already.  Mounting blocks are being constructed on either side of the bridge - the ones on the Strines side are almost complete.   :)

And those who are interested in the bridge may also be interested in this new organisation:  http://www.ourvalley.org.uk/index.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version