Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Floating tow path  (Read 2792 times)

wolfman

Re: Floating tow path
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 09:07:02 PM »
I wondered how long it would take for someone to jump on me for poor spelling. I am in good company ie the Tameside web site and various other noble establishments. You gotta have a laugh eh.

bat man

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:02:42 PM »
We have floating tow paths in Marple,huge chunks of them are falling into the Canal :)

wolfman

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 08:49:18 PM »
London today, Marple 10yrs

Barbara

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:14:28 PM »
Uh Hello!  I thought this was the Marple website, not the London one!  By the way, the word 'pigeon' does have a 'd' in it!
Actually quite an interesting item - in it's place!

wolfman

Floating tow path
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 04:50:46 PM »
British Waterways has constructed this novel off road facility along the Limehouse Cut, which is a 1½ mile canal connecting Limehouse Basin to Bow in East London . In practical terms the floating towpath makes the canal accessible to cyclists, providing a continuous route along the canal. It is also “cool” and attractive, helping to promote the image of cycling as a fashionable way to travel.

The illuminated 242-metre towpath, made up of 60 floating units, passes beneath the A12 Blackwell Tunnel northern approach. The towpath is believed to be the first of its kind in the UK and was installed as part of a £1.4m regeneration programme led by British Waterways. The towpath provides a crucial link for residents living on the housing estate which is alongside the canal. Prior to the towpath being introduced in 2003, residents either had to cross the busy A12 or use an intimidating subway.

[attachment deleted by admin]