Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Hare and Hounds, Mill Brow  (Read 16707 times)

Dave

Re: Hare and Hounds, Mill Brow
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »
we were surprised to see that the car park was full

That's only partly because of the well-deserved popularity of the H&H - it's also because the road closure has meant that good folk of Mill Brow have had to leave their cars there and walk the rest of the way home!  But I think the road will have re-opened by now. 

BennyBlue

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »
Agree with the above comments - a great find.

We finally got round to trying the H&H at Friday lunch time (long story short, we had accidentally booked the 'wrong' Hare and Hounds on a separate occassion).

Partly because it was a weekday lunchtime, the pub itself is off the beaten track and the road itself was closed, we were surprised to see that the car park was full and so too was the pub. I think maybe with a Christmas Party.

Once we had ordered, we were each served with a complimentary veloute of Celeriac, Potato, Leek and Apple Soup in an espresso cup and freshly baked bread. This was gorgeous.

As above, we opted for the tradditional 'pub grub'. Our party had the fish and chips (massive), 3 cheese and leek pie and the venison pie. All delicious and generous portions. As with most places in SK6, the value for money is very reasonable.

Good customer service too.

We will return!

Miss C

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
Completely agree with you Dave! Just read your post and noticed one of mine above it. We still seem to find ourselves in the H&H most weekends (although sadly not this one!) and it's without exception our favourite pub around.

Dave

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »
We went to the H&H recently, as it was Mrs Dave's birthday.  It was busy, which was no surprise as the food was as good as ever, if not better.  There are a few 'fancy' dishes (monkfish cheeks in gazpacho, pigeon, ballantine of duck, cod with calamari and chorizo, sea bass with onion bhaji), but straightforward things too (fish and chips, burger and chips - but no steak, interestingly).  Before our starter arrived a waitress came along carrying two cups and saucers.  We said 'it's OK, we haven't got to coffee yet', but she said 'no, it's a veloute of mushroom and onion, on the house'.   It was excellent, as was everything else we had. 

Over the years we've lived here (nearly thirty  :o) we've probably eaten in most of the pubs and restaurants in the Marple area, and at the moment this has to be the best, and it also has the most imaginative menu. 

Miss C

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 10:18:48 PM »
We love the H&H! It's our favourite place for Sunday lunch, no question. Really lovely, laid back atmosphere and great food, especially the roast beef! Walking there and back across the fields clearly justifies the need for a pudding too! We keep saying that we should try elsewhere but always keep coming back here. Unlike our one experience of The Oddfellows too, they are more than happy to serve smaller portions for children, which we vey much appreciate.

barndoor

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 05:55:05 PM »
Mrs barndoor and I have been to the H&H a couple of times - for drinks only - and have found it to be a very agreeable pub. It's in a very scenic part of the world, pleasantly decorated and the real fire is a definite plus on a cold autumn/winter Saturday!

We had food for the first time last Sunday: I had the burger (patty, jalapeno peppers, bacon) and she had the fish from the specials menu. Mrs barndoor is very much a foodie and an extremely good chef at home (I keep telling her she has a second career lined up if her career in finance goes down the pan), and the upshot of this is that she constantly compares pub/restaurant food to the wonders she is capable of producing at home.

I really enjoyed my burger and I knew she rated her fish highly from the praise she heaped on it throughout her meal - even continuing her compliments in the car on the way home. This is unheard of.

There was a small quibble where the fish was priced at £13.95 on the board but we were charged £15.95, this was resolved without fuss.

Would we go back? Without question - and in fact it's her birthday in a couple of weeks' time and she's shunned the bright lights of Manchester in favour of H&H. If you see someone practically drooling over the fish menu that'll be her...

bluebelly

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
went on sunday,
beutiful gamon with a poached egg on topof a potatoe cake made with pea puree and triple cooked chips. spot on!!!
my wife had a sundy roast but i was enjoyjng mine that much i couldnt talk or hear her...hehe
great menu will be back

noni mouse

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 10:53:36 AM »
Been several times in past month or so and it is good, certainly best in Marple area. Tables are a bit close together but the chef knows what he is doing and as he gains in confidence the standards are rising. Some of the dishes at the 'top end' are a bit steep and at those prices linen napkins would be more appropriate. Definitely worth a detour to visit.

belleesummerbee

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 07:38:29 PM »
Despite needing a canoe to get there on Saturday night the food once again was excellent as was the service and atmosphere. I must recommend the Lyme Park Venison and Unicorn (Robbie's ale not pointy horned animal) pie. Melted in the mouth.

Cripes

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »
Haha! I had fish  :)

Dave

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 06:21:06 AM »
That's still quite interesting, cripes, and not what I had expected. My guess was that you liked your meat well done - the chef at the H and H tends to cook lamb, duck etc a bit 'pink', which is not everyone's taste (tho' it is mine :-)

Cripes

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »
Yep, we've been to Peruga, need to go back I think for a second opinion. We took my father in law and were kept waiting in the bar section for quite a while before we got shown to our table; unfortunate as due to his illness, we need to make sure he eats around the same time each day. Put us off a bit as it was practically empty.  We'll go again and give it a fair go.

amazon

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »
That's interesting cripes. Tell us more - what didn't you like?

I'm not saying that I didn't like it, just that I was expecting more after all the rave reviews. My food didn't look that great, but tasted ok, my husband, ditto.  We did intend to stay for dessert but they didn't really attend to us that well either so after vying to get their attention we ended up just asking for the bill and leaving earlier than anticipated.
   Try The Peruga Glossop Road .

Cripes

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:57:26 PM »
We are definitely talking about the right Hare & Hounds are we? The one at Mill Brow, not the one on Dooley Lane?

Had to look on google maps then to verify it! Yep, we definitely went to the right one! It was quite late on so maybe they had run out of steam by then.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:44:53 PM »
We are definitely talking about the right Hare & Hounds are we? The one at Mill Brow, not the one on Dooley Lane?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website