Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: A bit of initiative goes a long way  (Read 5351 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: A bit of initiative goes a long way
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 04:27:22 AM »
It may be that you don't use social media becasue you're uncomfortable with giving away your personal information. As long as you remember that the produce of social media companies is actually YOU there are ways of using social media in "listen only" mode but don't post anything yourself. You can "like" pages on Facebook and do the same on Twitter where you can follow certain accounts but that doesn't mean you have to post anything at all yourself.

Use Chrome or Firefox and use Ad-blocker as a plugin; I NEVER see ads anywhere on the web unless I choose to whitelist them (on this site for example). Don't use your real name, don't give your location, don't put your real birthday. For example, don't use your standard email address. Use one generator from here http://www.fakemailgenerator.com/. You can be anonymous but still have most of the benefits of  these facilities without becoming the product.

What I'm uncomfortable about is Facebook selling my details to other organisations and the way that it could and should, but doesn't, supervise the (mis)use of it's network.

Howard

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:13:40 AM »
But not all of us are able to or wish to use Facebook or Twitter. "Social media" needs to clean up its act before it will achieve universal coverage.

It may be that you don't use social media becasue you're uncomfortable with giving away your personal information. As long as you remember that the produce of social media companies is actually YOU there are ways of using social media in "listen only" mode but don't post anything yourself. You can "like" pages on Facebook and do the same on Twitter where you can follow certain accounts but that doesn't mean you have to post anything at all yourself.

Use Chrome or Firefox and use Ad-blocker as a plugin; I NEVER see ads anywhere on the web unless I choose to whitelist them (on this site for example). Don't use your real name, don't give your location, don't put your real birthday. For example, don't use your standard email address. Use one generator from here http://www.fakemailgenerator.com/. You can be anonymous but still have most of the benefits of  these facilities without becoming the product.

wheels

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »
I wonder if people had this attitude when the telephone came along

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:57:39 PM »
Hello,

There is a large number of Marple businesses both on Facebook & twitter and have been for some time. Many of them use it very effectively.

In fact the Marple Business Forum ran a very successful seminar on the use of social media in small business in July.

If you would like a list please just ask!
But not all of us are able to or wish to use Facebook or Twitter. "Social media" needs to clean up its act before it will achieve universal coverage.

Stationery Supplies

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:03:25 PM »
Hello,

There is a large number of Marple businesses both on Facebook & twitter and have been for some time. Many of them use it very effectively.

In fact the Marple Business Forum ran a very successful seminar on the use of social media in small business in July.

If you would like a list please just ask!

wadsterboy

A bit of initiative goes a long way
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
Just wanted to give a mention to The Saffron for its good use of email marketing and technology. They offer a 20% discount on online takeaway orders before 7.30pm and having used the online ordering system, I can confirm it works perfectly. This week they sent me a special offer on thursday via email for a free bottle of cobra with a £13 order, which combined with the usual discount, sold me. I ordered on the train home to Rosé Hill on my iPhone and my order was ready for me to collect on the way home. The food is always excellent, so I really recommend them.

All Things Nice are similarly adept at adding tempting photos and menu updates to their Facebook page, which drives customers through the door. In these tough times, other Marple businesses could learn a thing or two.