Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Stockport has highest recycling rates.  (Read 4231 times)

wolfman

Re: Stockport has highest recycling rates.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 03:11:06 PM »
I see tha "bottom" has fallen out of the Junk market and councils are having to rent warehouses to store all the plasic,cardboard etc. It is hoped that this is a temporary phenonomen but must surely add to our taxes.

wolfman

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 11:00:39 AM »
Why is it that everything is put onto the end user re recycling.? As a consumer we have no say apparently, in how our consumables are packaged. Why therefore does it fall on us to be liable for recycling. How many times have you struggled to get into items doubly wrapped. It makes you wonder how we ever managed in the "Old" days before plastic wrap. It's about time someone stood up to the manufacturers and pointed out it is they who should be thinking about recycling, being "green" etc.

wolfman

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 05:12:05 PM »
Thanks for the insight littlebiker, so the council sells all the bottles,cans and paper , and makes money. I wonder if after taking out the cost of wages,transportation, admin etc they make a profit or is it a loss maker. The council don't tell us do they?

LittleBiker

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »
The main reason for the recycling efforts is less landfill and the green effect . but .the council do actually take profit from this collection of green waste
IE
clear glass is recycled to glass plants and cash is collected for this, also colored glass and tin is the biggest revenue collector for the council that recycles as it has a good value when reused in the metal or glass industry.
i know this is the case as when i worked for them we used to see where it got shipped to smelting companies for melting down to be resold within the specific industry.
i hope this clears up the matter of monies being collected by " the recycling operator " for waste recycled.
I'm not sure on figures but i know its around £1,000 a ton on certain waste that is recycled and sold to industries to re use.
gm waste made unimaginable profit on the recycling materials given to them by the public . hence the reason for SMBC reclaiming the waste collection department back when tenders went up after the 5year collection contract expired.

Belly

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 10:58:08 PM »
does that mean the council does make money on recycling?

Not 'makes money'..... rather reduces their costs and (in theory) keeps our council tax down. They certainly don't make a profit.

wolfman

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
does that mean the council does make money on recycling?

Belly

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:47:55 PM »
Does anybody know if the council make any money out of recycling, and if so how much? Or is it a loss making procedure?

The more recycled the less landfilled. The more money the council will save on landfill tax (which is due to go through the roof).

wolfman

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 04:50:06 PM »
Does anybody know if the council make any money out of recycling, and if so how much? Or is it a loss making procedure?

wolfman

Stockport has highest recycling rates.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:43:38 AM »
Thanks to ‘green minded’ borough residents Stockport has the highest recycling and composting rates in Greater Manchester.

The annual report published by the Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority (GMWDA) for 2007/08 shows that Stockport Council is the best performing authority in the area with a combined recycling and composting rate of 35.47% - up more than 3% on the previous year.

Councillor Stuart Bodsworth, Executive Member for the Environment, said: “I would like to say a big ‘thank you’ to all Stockport residents who regularly use their household recycling collection service and home composting bins. It’s thanks to these residents that we have such an impressive recycling rate.”

The Council also has the highest number of compost bin sales in Greater Manchester. Last year alone the Council sold 3,722 home compost bins through the ‘Recycle Now Home Composting’ scheme, and since April this year a further 1,500 bins have been sold. Home composting is another way of diverting waste from landfill and the end result is free compost to use on your garden.

Stockport has also seen a reduction in the amount of household refuse collected since the introduction of the new style bin bags.

Councillor Stuart Bodsworth, added: “This year we’re hoping our recycling rate will be even higher with the rollout of the blue wheelie bins for collecting mixed paper and card. Approximately 30,000 households have received this service which is already showing encouraging results. Next year, the Council plans to expand and improve its recycling collection service offered to households.”

Full details of the Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority annual report can be viewed at www.gmwda.gov.uk