A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Nominate your unsung hero  (Read 1997 times)

wolfman

Nominate your unsung hero
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »
Call to salute 'unsung heroes'
Fay Schlesinger
5/ 9/2008
UNSUNG heroes are not getting the recognition they deserve - so neighbours, family and friends are being urged to nominate people who act selflessly to help others for honours.

The falling number of citizen nominations for MBEs, OBEs and CBEs has prompted Lord Lieutenant of Greater Manchester Warren Smith to launch a seminar to help take the mystery out of the honours system.
He said sport stars, actors and academics are not the only achievers who deserve royal recognition. But people need to know the simple nomination process to discover the region's hidden knights and dames.

He said: "Every week I see something that inspires me. People are making a difference by going that extra mile with substantial voluntary contributions over many years. They have changed people's lives or their neighbourhood. They are unsung heroes.

"We all like someone to say `thank you'. But if you don't fill in a simple form, no one gets a reward. Nominations from the region have fallen. While 11.4 per cent of the population lives in the north west, we get only 8.5 per cent of the honours. I want to see we get our fair share. There is a great deal of misunderstanding surrounding the honours system and the seminar is a fantastic opportunity to hear how it works."

A gospel choir leader, disability campaigner and retired police constable were among the Greater Manchester people who received honours this year.

Mr Smith and the Community Foundation, which provides grants, will be joined by Dennis Brennan, of the Ceremonial Office, to lead the seminar at Manchester Town Hall, at noon on Thursday, September 25.

Places at the event are limited. To book a place, email tariq@communityfoundation.co.uk or phone 0161 2140940.

To request an honours nomination form, call 0207 2762777.
from the MEN website author as above