A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: The Ridge  (Read 3480 times)

wolfman

Re: The Ridge
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 09:25:31 AM »
Alan, you are absolutly right about the street lighting being a lawful requirement but it goes further than that. If the street lights are not the required distance apart or the repeater signs not correct people have got off speeding charges because the speed limit is then "unlawful" I am not against the alleged 30mph speed limit but if it's going to be then it should comply with the law and not be just one 30mph sign at the Romper.

alan@marple

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:49:58 PM »
Wolfman,

If you want, I will vote for you!

wolfman

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 04:56:51 PM »
Whilst on about speed limit signs why are there so few repeater signs on the A627 Dooley Lane ,Otterspool Rd, to Hatherlow Is this because it's 40MPH and the powers that be don't want motorists to know that? Some of the ones that are there are covered by vegetation.

wolfman

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:03:18 PM »
Why is there a 30mph sign then near the Romper? What is the speed limit from the junction of Hawk Green Road to the Romper? I don't think there is the required "spacing" which is 183 metres apart for the street lights. The 1994 Traffic signs regulations and general Directions states that , " on a road more than 250Metres long in length where there is a 30mph speed limit,but a system of street lighting furnished by lamps placed not more than 183Metres apart is not provided then the maximum distance between consecutive signs on the same side of the carriageway will be 400m the maximum distance between consecutive signs on alternate sides of the carriageway will be 250m the maximum distance between start/end of length of road required to be signed and first/last repeater is 220m."

from  http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tpm/tal/signsandsignals/speedlimitsigns

alan@marple

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 01:03:10 PM »
Well I think that if Shan Alexandra wants to reduce speed on the ridge, then I am all for it. And I don't mind if they put Humps on the road either. Street lighting would of course be desirable. However good sense should prevail. I picked up the following comment on Yahoo Answers, I don't know the Author, but it seems clear to me
"
It all depends on the presence or not of street lighting.

A 30mph speed limit is in place if there are street lights. For the speed limit to be higher there would need to be repeater signs about every 200 metres.

If there are no street lights and no signs then the national speed limit applies which is 60mph on a single carriageway, a lower speed limit has to have repeater signs when there are no street lights"

Source unknown

Hope that makes sense

wolfman

The Ridge
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 04:16:14 PM »
I see that in the latest edition 213 of the Marple south Liberally newsletter that Cllr Shan Alexander has requested more "Safety Signs" for the ridge. They should look at the legal requirements with regard to the alleged 30mph speed limit. There is a "30" sign near to the Romper for traffic towards Marple, however there are no street lights at the required distance apart to support this speed limit.