Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
October 26, 2014, 03:36:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Marple Motor Company Ltd - brand new MOT Testing Station in Marple

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UFOs & Lights in the Sky [Merged Topic]  (Read 6632 times)
wolfman

« on: August 24, 2008, 09:15:16 PM »

At 9.05pm on Sunday a perfect triangle formation of orange globes was seen in  the sky at Hawk Green. They were visible for about 5mins. They drifted towards Mellor broke formation and disapeared.

Upon seeing the shadow of a PIDGIN  one should resist the urge to look up.
wolfman

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:27:15 PM »

I took this photo in my back garden. the white line at the bottom is a washing line.

* lights in sky.jpg (95.39 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 140 times.)

wolfman

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 09:46:22 PM »

someone on the ridge had a telescope and saw one of these lights towards Mellor, it apparently was ball of flame hovering and then disappeared.

tricky

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 12:48:07 PM »

Report it here !  http://www.ufoinfo.com/sightings/uk.shtml

meh
wolfman

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »

Here's a possible explanation?
Candles trigger flood of UFO alerts in central Scotland
Police were flooded with reports of UFO sightings - after party goers attached candles to balloons and sent them floating into the sky.
The revellers in Grangemouth, Stirlingshire, were involved in a superstitious party game last night and hoped releasing the devices would make their dreams come true.
But residents in the surrounding area were shocked by the sight of the illuminated globes, mistaking them for an alien invasion.
Central Scotland Police said they received more than a dozen calls in half an hour from locals who thought the balloons were interstellar craft.
A spokesman said: "We've had call, after call, after call, saying it's UFOs.
"It turns out that there's a party going on and they are letting off balloons with candles on. They make a wish and then release them into the sky."
From The Herald 25.8.08 web issue  author unknown

Phil

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »

What a terrific idea - Candles suspended from (Helium) balloons. Expect to see one over the Hucker Household tonight. (With apologies to Gill who innocently supplied the balloon for number one's 4th birthday at the weekend...)

Please don't call the authorities though....
mdavisstockportexpress

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »

can any witness to the sightings call me on the Stockport Express newsdesk on 0161 475 4823 please - will be running a story on it.
cheers
Matt Davis
Tina

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 10:47:24 PM »

HAHAHA  has someone been playing tonight?  My son just phoned me and told me to look out the window because there was flashing lights in the sky!!!!!! good job I read this in the week or you would of made me believe!!!! well done Smiley
Jay

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »

Saw them tonight for about 20 minutes. 3 in formation and one trailing  close. then about 5 minutes in to it a 5th one followed. Explain!
eeyore21

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 11:52:33 PM »

there was 4 of us sat in a garden tonight and saw them as well. very weird.
what was weird was like jay said 3 of them stayed in formation.
so just whats is going on ? are people trying out the story from scotland and sending up candles and balloons.
heather

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 08:30:20 PM »

if these are candles, somebody must have seen them come down or found them when thay landed, i was also sat in the garden watching them and am not convinced they were candles.  Undecided

and i said to the man who stood at the gate of the year    give me a light so i may tread safely into the unknown
gone

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:34:54 PM »

That is sooooooooo cool! I wish I had seen them, mind you I was watching some aliens just the other night on the telly.....It was called Big Brother!
wolfman

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »

Did close encounter light up our skies?
Matthew Davis
3/ 9/2008

FORGET Roswell - it seems Strines maybe the new Area 51 after claims a UFO was spotted in the sky on Sunday night.

Pub-goers at the Royal Oak on Strines Road were mystified by three red lights in a triangular formation slowly moving across the sky at around 9pm.

The lights were also spotted by residents in Romiley and Marple, who wondered whether they were having a close encounter of the third kind.

Jameson Moon, 39, landlord of the Royal Oak and an aviation enthusiast, immediately consulted his radar and discovered the ‘object’ was not registering.

He said: "One of the customers was outside having a cigarette when he saw the lights and we all went outside to have a look.

"The lights were moving very slowly across the sky and they were some distance apart it eventually moved behind a cloud. There is no way it was a plane and it didn’t show up on my radar.

"I was amazed. I have never seen anything like this before and may never seen anything like it again. I am usually a sceptic but after seeing this I am not sure."

Jameson’s mum Grace added: "Everybody in the pub saw it. I think the whole village saw it and we hadn’t had too much to drink."

Christine Smith, 56, from Romiley, added: "My husband and I saw the lights hovering above Marple. They were there for about 15 minutes then dissapeared.

"We live under the flight path and it is normally very busy but I have never seen anything like this before."

Brian Vike director of HBCC UFO Research, based in Canada, explained that recent sightings of lights either on their own or in a group have turned out to be Chinese lanterns.

Mr Vike said: "The lanterns people release are for some kind of festival, weddings or some other event. Or people just playing around maybe hoping to get some type of excitement over something strange happening, when indeed it is nothing to get excited over."

However, UFO expert Nick Pope, who used to run the British Government’s UFO Project, is not convinced that the explanation lies with lanterns and believes the object could have been a large UFO.

He said: "It’s an intriguing image - something extremely interesting has been captured here. While many recent UFO sightings in the UK have been attributable to Chinese lanterns, I’m not convinced this is the explanation here.

"While it’s possible that three Chinese lanterns might briefly end up in a triangular formation, it’s inconceivable that they’d hold such a pattern constantly.

"It seems a very strange coincidence that three lanterns would be snapped in the shape of a perfect triangle. This raises the intriguing possibility that what we’re looking at here is the underside of a triangular-shaped UFO, with lights at each corner. If this is the case, the object is massive.

"The fact that the three lights held the pattern makes it highly likely that we’re dealing with lights on the underside of a single object, as opposed to three separate objects.

"That the object disappeared behing cloud suggests it was vast, as one would expect the cloudbase to be at a height of several thousand feet.

"When working at the Ministry of Defence I investigated many sightings of such triangular-shaped craft."

By marple forum member Mark Davis from the Stockport express web site

Phil

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 04:59:51 PM »

What does a UFO need lights for?
Ali Bee

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 01:05:50 PM »

Oooh, please could we get The Doctor over here to investigate, I'll be more than happy to give David Tennant a room for a while  Grin!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite