A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: telemarketing calls. and how to stop them  (Read 2708 times)

heather

Re: telemarketing calls. and how to stop them
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 07:53:19 PM »
at the end of the day the people  that make the calls are just doing a job,even though i wouldnt like to do it,so i allways feel that they deserve a little respect and dont deserve to be shouted at  or sworn at  :)

alison

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:27:35 PM »
TPS is definitely worth the effort - I used to get loads of calls and hardly get any now, and they hang up pretty quick when you tell them you have registered.

However, one irreverant suggestion I have seen in a business publication recently (and only to be used if you really know 100% that they are telemarketers!) is when they ask for a person reply ' were you very close?' in a grave and slightly upset voice! Not that I would ever have the guts to do it but it did make me smile.

I have sympathy for the people on the other end of the phone though, it is not a job I would ever want to do.

Alison

heather

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:05:11 PM »
when you get unwanted phone calls  just tell them you are not interested and ask them to take you off the data base,they have to do it by law if you ask them, also they are not, by law,allowed to call before 9am and after 8pm and not at all on a sunday,it rearly throws them when you quote that to them.dont fill any surveys in unless you tick the box that prevents them from selling on your your details,a lot of the time this is where they get their infomation from. :-X

Rachael

telemarketing calls. and how to stop them
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:14:16 PM »
found an easier way to register with the TPS ( telephone preferance sevice) to stop telephone sales and unwanted calls from companies ringing you .

If you are a BT customer, you can register for the privacy at home package which is completely free.

This gives you caller display free of charge ( something I thought you had to pay for) as long as you have a compatable phone ( basicly one with a display on it) , but also it passes on your details to the TPS and registers your telephone number with them, it took less than five minutes to do, I didnt need to speak to anyone.

The number is 0800 121 8000

It does say that it can only prevent UK companies from calling and it will take 28 days to go through, but the recent calls ive had "from a local company offering you a discount" is getting on my nerves, we are ex directory, but I think its an automated calling system.

I know its a bit sarcastic, but I recently had a phone call from a double glazing company, when they asked me how old the windows in my house were my response was -

"why?, are you thinking of throwing a birthday party for them"

:D