Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
April 20, 2014, 01:39:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

Support Friends of Marple Memorial Park when you shop on-line:

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

To advertise on this site

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Marple on tv  (Read 13276 times)
stockport road

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 05:58:28 PM »

they were in my local ' The Railway ' last week !!

viva ronaldo
Pink Panther

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 08:36:59 AM »

I cried buckets last night watching it!!

Ive got to go and watch my sons class assembly this morning, how do I explain I look so rough because I was getting emotional watching Sunshine!!

I really enjoyed it Smiley

I'm not up to no good, it only looks as though I am!     Cool
Deniseam

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »

Not sure I agree with the Guardian's description:

"It was shot in a nothing-special northern town with rain and war memorials and boozers and betting shops and kind hearts and corny jokes."

I thought Marple and Mellor looked lovely. 
Barbara

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 09:52:04 AM »

The scenery and location spotting certainly made up for the storyline!  Mind you, the actors did well with a banal script!
moonforest

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »

I thought Marple looked lovely too! Obviously whoever wrote that needs to come visit and take a walk in the local countryside that's on our doorstep.  Smiley Marple would be hard to beat, methinks.
Barbara

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 02:09:50 PM »

Sorry Moonforest - you misunderstood me!  I think Marple is great - I have lived here for more than 30 years and think it would take some beating as a place to be.  It was only the script I was criticising - the locations and acting were fine.   Smiley
moonforest

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »

Barbara ...I was referring to the quote from the Guardian. Sorry about that, I should have been clearer.
alison

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 06:40:18 PM »

I am with Rachel on this - I got through quite a few tissues! And Marple / Mellor / Hazel Grove / Cheadle Hulme etc looked great too! there were a few places I could not pin down - where was the footie pitch and the outside of the pub that wasn't the ringers? And Grandad's house and her flat?

Alison
nbt

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »

The footie pitch is the playing field behind All Saints primary school, opposite the ringers. I*think* the pub where they went for a date was the back of All Saints church, up the hill. Anyone know where the flats where? Or the black cat club? I thinkt they;re the only two locations we've not actually pinned down, although I did hear they did some filiming in bolton and salford so they could well be up  there

NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist
certa cito

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 09:37:08 PM »

Grandads house is on the corner Empress Ave and Church Street opposite Marple Cottage Surgery. Loved the series was fantastic seeing all the places I grew up. Was it me or was Stockport rd very quite with NO traffic on when they were in front of the cinema in last nights show Huh Huh
alan@romiley

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 12:00:26 AM »

I thought the flats might be on High Lane, near to the junction with Windlehurst Rd  or vice versa

“Every process in your organization has a customer, and without a customer a process has no purpose. "
wolfman

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 10:37:01 AM »

The black cat club is probably not it's real name. Like "East" Vale was altered to "North" Vale.

Upon seeing the shadow of a PIDGIN  one should resist the urge to look up.
nbt

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 11:28:39 AM »

FLats on windlehurst, yes, that could wel lbe right

black cat club - yes of course, they;ve changed all the names, I was referring to the name used in the series. Stil no idea where it is though

BTW the house Bing shared with his missus was on east vale, as suggested by wolfman's post.

Other locations not yet mentioned:
the Gambler's anonymous meeting was the school below mellor church, which itself featured for the funeral and wedding asnd a couple of scenes in ep 2
the bookies was on Turves road in cheadle hulme (bit of a walk from Empress Ave!)
THe lads in the bin wagon pulled up for lunch on the layby between torkington bends and the birds estate in offerton (offerton road, becomes torkington road)
the doctors scenes were filmed in Marple Cottage surgery
Bing's dad's local was the ringers (sportsmans room?)

NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist
certa cito

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 06:24:07 PM »

I felt sorry for bings son, did no one tell him that the bus goes from Marple shopping centre and not the middle of Mellor...poor lad walking all that way from All Saint's lol  Grin
Victor M

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2008, 06:40:22 PM »

Has anyone seen the review of Sunshine in the Guardian dated 22/10/08. Nancy Banks-Smith describes the location as "It was shot in a nothing-special northern town with rain and war memorials and boozers and betting shops and kind hearts and corny jokes. The credits thanked the good people of Stockport". Anyone think of any kind words they would like to pen to Nancy at the Guardian?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite