A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: marple childrens orthopaedic hospital  (Read 8538 times)

liz appleby

Re: marple childrens orthopaedic hospital
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
Thanks Mark for that, will try again Best wishes Liz

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 05:17:17 PM »
Liz,

The davidraseddon@btinternet needs .com on the end of it   :D
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

liz appleby

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »
Dear David, I sent areally long email to your address but it said that it was the wrong address. I havedavidraseddon@btinternet, is that right? Itwouldnn't send. If not I will write to you here. Best wishes Liz

Davidseddon

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 03:07:09 PM »
Dear Liz,

I was interested in your comments about Sister Gordon. When do you believe she left Marple? Her name definitely sounds familiar, and I certainly remember a terrifying ward sister.

From the pictures which I have seen on the website from the 1930's, the boys and girls wards in the early 1960's were transposed. The girls' ward which was much larger also had the very young children, both boys and girls. We would get wheeled around there occasionally for evening film shows. Towards the end of my 18 months, I was located in the side ward which faced out onto the terrace, so it was easier to be wheeled out when the weather was good.

Do you remember any of the teaching staff? I remember a Miss Whiting, who was terrifically kind to me. She was quite elderly, so could well have been there in the mid 1950's. There was also a very kind Catholic priest, whose name i have forgotten.

I have good and bad memories of the place, and still think about it a lot. I can remember some patients running away because they were so unhappy there! You're welcome to correspond at davidraseddon@btinternet if you wish.

regards

David Seddon

liz appleby

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 12:09:25 PM »
Dear Dave, I would be happy to exchange memories with you. I was in earlier than you 1954/1955. In the girls ward we had the little boys in front of us. A lot of them had perthes. We used to sing songs and they would join in. It is really good to hear from you. I hope you are well now. Best wishes Liz Appleby

Davidseddon

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 04:41:12 PM »
Liz,

My name is David Seddon and I have just discovered this website. I have been viewing this afternoon the pictures from the 1930's upto 2003 when I understand the hospital was demolished.

As a seven year old, I was a patient for nearly 18 months in Marple in 1961-62. I had Perthes disease, and was strapped into my bed for more than 16 months. Fortunately, I did not have to suffer the frame which totally immobilised you! I have many memories and the experience remains with me very clearly nearly 50 years on. It was tough, as family could only visit at weekends.

I would be interested to exchange some of these memories with you or other patients or staff who were at the hospital at around this time.

Regards

David Seddon

liz appleby

marple childrens orthopaedic hospital
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »
I am trying to contact people, patients, staff, anyone who had any connections with the Childrens Hospital. Please get in touch with me if you know or remember anything