Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Roman Lakes  (Read 4543 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Mellor Mill Excavation
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 07:12:18 PM »
Short notice but I've only just found out. Excavation of the floor of Mellor Mill is to start this week. The objective is to clear the floor area of the Mill so that the size and scale of it can be seen.

If anyone is interested in volunteering they should get in touch with Peter Noble on 0161 427 1423 or 07813 164 204

Some guided tours will be arrnaged for a weekend in July during 'The Festival of Archaeology'. Bookings will be essential due to Health and Safety constraints.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

tonyjones

Re: Roman Lakes
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 08:47:06 AM »
Some of the apprentices lived in Mellor Old Hall, just along the road that goes up Longhurst Lane.
From the Old Hall there is a short tunnel under the road to enable the  apprentices to walk to the mill without crossing a public highway. The story is that they could be snatched / stolen whilst on the public highway ?

Diane Chew

Re: Roman Lakes
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 12:14:10 AM »
<font color='#000000'>i remember years ago a old chap telling me there was a tunnel from the lakes to  marple hall,dont know how true it was</font>
My father told me that the tunnels were built to enable the apprentices to walk from their dwelling to the mill without getting wet. Being fairly imaginative my playmate and I decided that the real reason was to prevent them from escaping!

I have heard the Marple Hall story before but don't know if it's true. I'm not sure if there was any connection between the Bradshaw-Isherwoods and Samuel Oldknow.

tonyjones

Roman Lakes
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:34:14 AM »
There were two waterwheels within the main body of the mill.
The water from these went under the road to 'Waterloo' where it could be directed into the river or to another waterwheel. The water outlet from this wheel was below the river level and a tunnel goes from here to lower down the river and appears on the west (Marple) side of the river.
If you walk round behind the Midland and along the river bank you will (eventually) come to the entrance.
I remember talking to some young boys over thirty tears ago who had been through the tunnel - DO NOT TRY THIS.

Cycling Duk

Roman Lakes
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
When we were kids (many years ago) My brother used to investigate tunnels in this area where the old mill used to stand, I seem to remember that one came out on the bank of the River Goyt just lower down the hill from Lea cottages. I will try to get more details next time I see him.

Susan

Roman Lakes
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 10:40:29 AM »
Does the tunnel lead up to opposite where them railings are All saints Church or does that tunnel lead to Marple Hall. I seem to remember being told at some point that the tunnel goes somewhere,

heather

Roman Lakes
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »
i remember years ago a old chap telling me there was a tunnel from the lakes to  marple hall,dont know how true it was

Deniseam

Roman Lakes
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 11:39:23 AM »
Have they (not sure who 'they' are) ever written to Time Team?

The man in the Roman Lakes cafe was mentioning something happening.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Roman Lakes
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 05:04:06 PM »
Yes, there is apparently a great deal afoot!

It is part of the Mellor Project and they have some money for archaeological excavations and information boards are also part of the work to be done. The main difficulty is working on a site that is privately owned and is a tremendous risk area! They hope to outline the mill base to show how large it was and do some guided walks a few times a year. Volunteers will be needed at some stage for clearance work, which sounds quite interesting, so watch this space!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Deniseam

Roman Lakes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 10:14:55 AM »
We went for a walk around the Roman Lakes today and as always wished that there was more information at the site of the mill.  We thought it would be a good project after the Iron Bridge was finished - get some information boards dotted around the area.  However we met our neighbours at the Lakes cafe and they said that something was afoot already.  Does anyone know if something is being done about the lack of information and increasing its attraction to visitors.