Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Marple on Google Earth/Google Maps  (Read 7107 times)

Howard

Marple on Google Earth/Google Maps
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 04:32:11 PM »
Whichever way round it is, it's the wrong way! I've noticed that there are some nice shots of Mellor in Google Earth and a lot around Etherow Park too.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 04:25:20 PM »
Having visited Brabyns Preparatory School this afternoon (on another matter) and spoken to the Head I can confirm to any doubters that Peter is right, it is the markings for the school's sports day.

I'm still on Windows 98 on my 7 year old pc so I can't access Google Earth at all but when I eventually upgrade I will look into Howards idea of adding some of our pictures of Marple to it.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

tina

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 02:52:48 PM »
Although the picture is placed on Rose Hill Station. That's probably where you have got mixed up!  ':p'

tina

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 02:48:09 PM »
Howard it is marple station and not Rose Hill. If you look carefully you can see 2 platforms and the bridge to get to platform 2.

Howard

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 09:50:44 PM »
Quote (Peter @ Oct. 11 2007,16:56)
I think you'll find the markings on the Rec have been put there by Brabyns School for their sports day!!

Have you seen how many lanes there are? Did the whole school run at once?

On another note, the photos on Google's mapping functions do come from different times and their clever software stitches them together to make it seamless. I remember seeing one picture of a train line that had half a train on it with one half of a carriage missing!

In some parts of the country you can see that they've done it with aerial photography rather than satellite because there's a fairly acute angle on things rather than top down.

Looking at it from above makes you realise quite how compact Marple is. And it doesn't look that far from Memorial Park to Mellor Cross for the Firkin challenge!

Any other interesting observations on Marple in Google Maps? If you do a free download of Google Earth http://earth.google.com/ rather than use the web-based version, then you can see a few people have uploaded pictures of Marple there, including my favourite bit of the canal. Through someone has uploaded a picture of Rose Hill Station and mistakenly called it Marple Station. We should get as many picture of this lovely town onto Google Earth. Mark, you could put some of the older Marple Calendar pictures on there...

Peter

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 04:56:53 PM »
Only just got round to looking at this, I think you'll find the markings on the Rec have been put there by Brabyns School for their sports day!! Not complete aliens, but close!
Interesting non the less.

the rover

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 04:21:12 PM »
Sorry, I made a mistake with the date, I've checked my records and the garage was erected in April 2005.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »
Fascinating stuff! So we know it's a Monday thanks to Denise mum!

The work to the new junior play area in Memorial Park looks like it was in progress when these photos were taken. It was officially opened on 10th September 2005, so the photos pre-date that by a least a few weeks - I'm not sure how long it took.

Of couse this contradicts Rover's garage in 2006. I accept that the photos may not all be the same date across the whole of Marple but those between the Rec and the Park look pretty seamless.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

the rover

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 12:56:58 PM »
Just because the photograph at M'cr airport is dated October 2006 it does not mean that the rest of the world was photographed during that month. Google maps regularly update parts of their maps.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 12:43:16 PM »
Photograph at Manchester Airport is dated October 2006. Ray.

the rover

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 12:33:17 PM »
I had my garage built in February 2006 and this is on the image so that proves that it is no earlier than February 2006.

Deniseam

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
My red car is on the drive and that is an early 05 reg.  My mums washing is out on the line as well and she does that on a Monday!

Dave

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 10:25:53 AM »
If you pan across to where the Jolly Sailor used to be you'll see that the big new MacArthy Stone sheltered housing development, Smithy Court, is there.  That must date it at 2006, not 2004, surely?

tonyjones

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 08:03:58 AM »
We moved into our present house in early 2004 and changed my car early 2005 and it is my old car that is on the drive.
This would date it around 2004.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 07:55:21 AM »
Pretty weird that Howard, bit like crop circles (or rectangles in this case). Could it be markings on the photo rather than actually on the ground? Will have to go and have a look!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website