A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: All Saints' Churchyard  (Read 4752 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
All Saints' Churchyard
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2002, 05:51:56 PM »
Unfortunately, due to a bereavement, our fire-brigade helpers had to cancel on Sunday, so only Peter and I made it to All Saints' churchyard. We managed to turn the Carver family headstone the right way up, although we decided to prop it at an angle rather stand it back up and encourage another attempt to break it. This stone (1st picture) is pretty hefty and remained intact after the assault. As you can see, this is sadly not the case for most of the others. Unfortunately, as a couple of glass-backs, we were unable to do much more on our own but we will try to organise another attempt soon.

Of course we did manage the pint in the Ringer's afterwards too!

The forum has been rather quite of late but it would be nice to hear the views of some of the 73 registered members, especially those who have never posted, on this subject.
How would you feel if this was your family's grave that had been desecrated?
Is there any way that this behaviour can be excused?
What can be done to put a stop it?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Peter

All Saints' Churchyard
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2002, 05:14:19 PM »
OK, I've arranged for some assistance from our brave and loyal fire brigade and we are meeting at the old All Saints church (next to the modernish one) on this Sunday 22nd Sept at 2.00p.m.
Any help would be much appreciated, just turn up and maybe we'll call for a quick pint in the Ringers afterwards.

Positive action is what this is all about!!

alastair

All Saints' Churchyard
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 01:01:57 PM »
I wish I could help!

But if you do catch any of those little swines bring them to me after you have finished with them.

Cos its my old church that Mr Carver started!!

ALASTAIR

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
All Saints' Churchyard
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2002, 08:21:26 PM »
Count me in........
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Peter

All Saints' Churchyard
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2002, 05:04:48 PM »
Once again Marple's young hopes for the future have been expressing their individualism! I noticed, whilst out strolling, that some of our public spirited youngsters have felt it their duty to remove from our midst some of the old, grey and generally weathered gravestones which they felt must offend our eyes. The result is that these gravestones, which have stood for well over 100  - 150 years are now smashed and shattered.
Amongst those desecrated is the grave of Thomas Carver, a man who during his life gave Marple a Church, a School, for the betterment of the poor and a lads club so that the young could enjoy some part of their life away from the poverty that then existed. His vision seems to have failed to come to fruition.
If, by some freak of fate, one of the perpetrators of the above act should read this (and I'm assuming that they can read), then I hope you feel suitably proud of your brave deed. You may also take it as read that if I, for one, ever catch you in the act of repeating your crime I will not be bothering to phone for the police. Thomas Carvers age had a very apt punishment for the likes of yourself.

Having said that I will be organising a small group of volunteers to see what damage we can repair and would be grateful of the help of anyone out there in website land. If you are interested then contact me on peter-clarke@ntlworld.com