Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Connect 2 project  (Read 13018 times)

marveld

Re: Connect 2 project
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 12:17:11 AM »
CTCREP stated - "It will provide a safe route for cyclists and others wanting to travel to work between Stockport and Marple".

I hardly think the Chadkirk/Marple Dale Goyt Weir Bridge will help on this score. However, I see the route being used by mountain bikes at weekends.

It's not a straight-forward short cut for school kids either from Romiley to Marple Hall with the steep hills on either side, although I suspect some may take on the challenge.

CTCREP

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 10:16:52 AM »
The Connect2 Project is a joint venture between Stockport Council and Sustrans (a National Charity creating sustainable transport routes throughout the country) to provide an off-road route between Marple and Stockport. It was part of a nationwide Lottery competition won by Sustrans with Stockport's cooperation. It will provide safe routes to schools for the students at Marple Hall and Cheadle & Marple Colleges. It will provide a safe route for cyclists and others wanting to travel to work between Stockport and Marple, which in this age of reducing pollution, increasing exercise and higher fuel prices must be a bonus for those who live in the Marple area and who want to avoid the traffic snarl-ups we often have to contend with. It will give access to Marple for Stockport residents as well as those using the Trans Pennine Trail wanting to access the countryside, which again in a time when we are supposed to be promoting more tourism must also be a bonus, not only for the travelers but the businesses in the Romiley and Marple areas.  Regrettably for some a wide well surfaced track may be not to their liking however there have to be compromises, and the "don't spoil the natural surroundings" approach sometimes leads to disasters as it did with our loss of the highly attractive Lyme View Cafe just off the Middlewood Way when Macclesfield Council refused the cafe to advertise on the Middlewood Way. We also frequently ignore the disabled who in their motorised buggies  would be able to access the countryside on a well surfaced track.  Hopefully we shall be able to move ahead and make Marple an attractive and prosperous place to live in and visit. For info - the Sea to Sea Route for cyclists, walkers etc from the Cumbrian Coast to the Northumberland Coast is said to create £10 million pounds for the North East economy.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 04:48:11 PM »
will be interesting to see how they can possibly provide 3m in all places.. quite a few collapses into river behind the farm walls

marveld

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
nbt wrote - "No doubt of course that Stockport Council will actually cut down all the vegetation and put in a gravel path some 3m wide, they seem to think that's the answer to everything."

I think you're right! I've just been looking at some of the planning documentation - see attached image. I like the path as it is now!

[attachment deleted by admin]

nbt

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 10:43:13 PM »
As a regular cyclist (my wife is also a cyclist and horserider), I don't see the problem that non-riders seem to have with shared use paths. Horses don;t actually need a very wide path at foot level, it's only at the shoulders they need a bit of room, and even then not nearly as much room is needed as modern specifications would demand; remember that Roman Bridge was built for horses!

The track from Lower dale farm through to the weir is already used by bikes anyway, it was formerly a cart track as evidenced by the width of the gates. Ijust don;t want the path turned into a gravel motorway, that's what causes problems with user conflict - wide open paths encourage inaproppriate speed from cyclists, and encourage pedestrians to wander along in big groups chatting to each other. No doubt of course that Stockport Council will actually cut down all the vegetation and put in a gravel path some 3m wide, they seem to think that's the answer to everything.
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

marveld

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 10:28:19 AM »
Thanks for providing the link to the Chadkirk Bridge design. Can someone please clarify if the Connect Scheme would wholly fund the bridge and the work required either end of it i.e. paths etc.? Would any additional support still need to come from the council?

Whilst I would welcome the bridge, I’m not convinced that a bridleway is suitable from Lower Dale farm to the weir. A lot of work would be needed to turn the existing footpath into a safe bridleway and it would be something the council would then need to maintain.

A potential solution would be for horses to use a new narrow path on the other side of the current hedgerow. This path would start at the stables at Lower Dale farm and come out at the weir. Cyclists and walkers would use an improved river-side path. I’m not sure the land-owner would necessarily go for this option, but the horse route would only be a strip of land 400 metres long (I’ve measured it using http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm !!)

Another variation would be for cyclists to also use the horse path, but I don’t see this as a sensible option. The current owners of the houses at Lower Dale wouldn’t like bikes coming into the farmyard. I would imagine most of the horse traffic would come from horses stabled at Lower Dale Farm and any additional (minimal) horse traffic from Romiley/Marple could be accommodated.

Anyone else got any views on this?

CTCREP

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 02:35:43 PM »
Thanks for the info.
If you only want to know what it will look like then the Bridge design can be seen here  http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/edrms/onlinemvm/getimage.asp?DocumentNumber=132963

Biker

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 07:10:32 PM »
Rather than dealing in rumours the design and all the planning detail can be seen on the Council's planning portal at http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData/AcolNetCGI.gov.
The Planning application is numbered DC/043362 and by clicking on documents you can locate the design and all other information.
All planning applications appear on this link and are available for consultation

Dave

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »
I can't help much, except to say that having always taken a close interest in the Roman Bridge, I do remember discovering when it was re-opened to horses that the national standard height for parapets on bridleway bridges is 1.8m - which is nowhere near 9ft, of course.   You refer to it as a 'rumour' - maybe it's been a bit exaggerated?  ???

CTCREP

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »
As you will see there has been little on this subject for some time. Sustrans did win the Lottery bid and Stockport's proposal to link Marple to Stockport by introducing a new bridge at Chadkirk Weir was accepted. We all had the opportunity to vote on the design on the new bridge both in the Library and at the Chadkirk Festival.
A new pedestrian crossing has been put in place on Otterspool Rd near the bridge over the River Goyt. Part of Mill Lane has been surfaced but why it has been done with a strip of anti-slip surface nobody seems to know - certainly Stockport Council seems to have managed to upset practically all users apart from the motorists.
Now I have heard a rumour that the bridge that we voted for will now have 9ft parapets fitted. After the arguments about Roman Bridge and the unnecessary extra barriers on the Iron Bridge, is this yet another debacle waiting to happen. Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

CTCREP

Connect 2 project
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 03:41:54 PM »
We often think that real cycling provision only occurs abroad. This is not so and many towns make suitable provision for cyclists far better than that which is available in Stockport.  To prove this Kirklees has won the European Greenways Award. If they can do it, why not Stockport. For more info on this go to Bike" target="_blank">http://www.bikeforall.net/news.ph....for All

CTCREP

Connect 2 project
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 01:43:37 AM »
Thanks to everyone who voted for the Connect2 bid. We now have to make sure this is not just a bridge over the River Goyt, but a potential leisure and Commuter Route between Stockport Town Centre and Marple.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Connect 2 project
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 05:53:16 PM »
Just received the following message:

Sustrans Connect2 Wins The Peoples £50 Million!

£50 million won and we couldn't have done it without you!

This is fantastic news, and thanks to everyone who voted for Sustrans' Connect2 in the People's £50 Million Lottery Giveaway, and for your help in winning £50 million of funding from the Big Lottery Fund for Sustrans to invest in walking and cycling UK-wide. This really is an amazing achievement for our charity and the many local authority and other partners with whom we will work on Connect2. We simply couldn't have done it without you and your votes.

We start work on delivering Connect2 in January 2008. Our local authority partners are poised ready to go, and will be adding matched funding from their own transport and other budgets to the £50 million from the Big Lottery Fund. This is a five year project, and in total we have already identified local authority funding to support Connect2, and we are working hard to bring even more funding to the project so that we can ensure as many people as possible benefit from Connect2.

We will continue to update our Supporters on progress during 2008, please join us as a Supporter if you aren't already, our Supporters are the foundation of the organisation and without them Sustrans would simply grind to a halt. If you would like to sign up for our e-newsletter please go to www.sustrans.org.uk and click on email newsletter. In the meantime can I take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy Christmas and New Year and to thank you again for supporting Sustrans' Connect2.

John Grimshaw MBE
Founder and Chief Executive Sustrans

Great News!!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Connect 2 project
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 05:24:35 PM »
Call 0870 24 24 602 now to vote for Sustrans' Connect2

You can register your vote from any phone once, so use your landline and all mobiles to ensure that Sustrans Connect2 gets the maximum votes for Marple to benefit.

Please be reassured that this is not a premium rate phone line, and calls from a BT landline will cost no more than 10p. Calls from mobiles and other operators may be higher.

All voting closes at 12 noon on Monday 10th December, so if you haven't already voted online please do before Monday. The winner of the £50 million will be announced on 12th December.

Thank you so much for your support of Connect2 - we really do need every vote because we are up against strong competition and advertising by some competitors. Please do pass on the phone and online voting details to everyone you know.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

CTCREP

Connect 2 project
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 03:50:14 PM »
The Sustrans Bid will be shown on ITV 1 at 23-05 on Tuesday 4th December