Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Marple man to walk 97 miles in 3 days!  (Read 3010 times)

ccrookall

Marple man to walk 97 miles in 3 days!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 12:19:35 PM »
I forogot to add something on the story about Keith Richards of the Stones. Keith was arrested for drug possession whilst on tour with the Stones in Canada in 1977 and was in danger of being jailed. However, the judge decided that the Stones should play a free concert in Toronto after a blind girl told the judge how kind Keith had been to her by making arrangements for her to get to their concerts. They played the concert and Keith started to wean himself off drugs.

My hope is that an approach to Keith will stike a chord and he will send a donation.

Charlie

ccrookall

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 12:01:48 PM »
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to ask for sponsorship for the National Library for the Blind on this website. Please spread the word as I want to raise as much money as I can.

Anyone you talk to who doesn't have access to a PC can obtain a sponsorship form from my wife, Jenny, who works at St. Catherine's Preparatory School, Hollins lane, Marple Bridge who will arrange to get one to you. Jenny can be contacted on 0161 449 8181 or on our home number 01663 767815.

Our daughters attend St. Catherine's and the school is supporting the NLB with fund raising activities. Our daughters will also be raising money for NLB at a table top sale at Marple Methodist Church on Saturday morning 17th February. Please come along if you can.

Thanks

Charlie Crookall

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 10:02:48 PM »
This message is posted on behalf of local man Charles Crookall, who aims to raise £2,500 for National Library for the Blind (NLB) by participating in a 97 mile, 3 day walk, along the towpaths of the Cheshire Ring Canal System in May. This will be a pretty impressive feat as it took Peter and me six days to walk 95 miles from Iron Bridge to Iron Bridge in 2004! So take a minute to read Charles' story below and if you feel this is a worthwhile cause then please sponsor his efforts:

If you go to the following link www.justgiving.com/charlescrookall you will find details of my sponsored walk for the National Library for the Blind in May. It is 97 miles over 3 days and I am hoping to raise £2,500 for the NLB which will enable them to produce 2 Braille books. I will be looking for sponsorship from work colleagues, friends, family, school/parents, MPs, Stockport MBC, local businesses and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones! There is a story behind the reason for that last name!! I have been promised some air time on Stockport's Pure Radio and will be working with the NLB fund raisers to get coverage in the local press and, hopefully, Granada TV.

Last year I completed a sponsored 'Marathon' walk along the Macclesfield Canal and raised money for my daughters' school in Marple Bridge and the National Kidney Federation. Years of abusing my knees playing football mean that running is not an option but, nevertheless, I completed the 26.2 miles in 6 hours 38 minutes in the baking heat last July 4th. My walk this year is along the towpaths of the Cheshire Ring canal system which takes in the whole of the Macclesfield Canal and parts of the Trent and Mersey, Bridgewater, Rochdale, Ashton and Peak Forest Canals.

The NLB merged with the RNIB last year and, as the name implies, provides a library service for blind and partially sighted people. I am hoping to raise enough money to enable NLB to produce 2 Braille books, so any publicity I can get will be very welcome. The cost of producing these books (about £1,265 each) is very prohibitive, so the more money I can raise the better. NLB is also the chosen charity for our daughters' school, St. Catherine's Preparatory School in Marple Bridge and they have been organising events to raise funds for the NLB. In addition, our 7 and 8 year old daughters are running a stall at a table top sale at Marple Methodist Church, Church Lane, Marple on 17th February and will donate the proceeds to NLB.

The Marple Website is delighted to be the first to register their support for Charles on his Just Giving site and we'd love to learn more about that Keith Richards story!

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website