Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: User registration on the Virtual Tour  (Read 11628 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: User registration on the Virtual Tour
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 12:41:41 PM »
Unfortunately fake users are now regularly trying to register on the Virtual Tour, so I've enabled a new feature that means you have to provide a global password before you can sign-up. The global password is "goawayspammers" and you will need to enter this (without the quotes) for registrations to be accepted.

I know it sound a bit daft to put the password here but I think the applications may be automated, so they will not have the knowledge to put this post and the registration together. If this proves to be wrong I will change the password and people wishing to register will have to ask me for it.

Will keep you posted.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
I've disable the ecard facility on the Virtual Tour for guest visitors this morning as it has been heavily abused by spammers in the last few days. This means that you can now only send an ecard to someone if you are a registered user, which is a shame but there you go. I may try switching it back on again in a week or two and see what happens.

With regard to the registered users, Noel Brindley is making a great job of adding comments to the photos but nobody else has had a go. How are you registered users finding it?

Some feedback would be welcome  :)
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 07:46:14 PM »
I've made a bit of a change to the registered user settings on the tour because several people have disregarded my request to register using their proper names. I don't wish to prevent those who don't want to reveal their real names from enjoying the benefits of registration, so I've set two levels of access. A user who doesn't register with their proper name will be able to compile their own album of favourites but will not be able to comment on photos. A user who has registered with their real name will be able to do both. This second level of access is assigned manually after I have reviewed the registration, so even if you do use your proper name you will not be able to post comments until after I have upgraded your access.

I hope I've managed to explain this clearly.

If you have signed up using a nickname or alias and would like it to be amended to your real name so that you can comment on photos then please let me have the details by email.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

tina

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 02:17:31 PM »
my email to activate went to junk mail, so check in there if it doesnt come through :)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
User registration on the Virtual Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:36:38 AM »
I completed a significant upgrade to the Virtual History Tour of Marple and District software yesterday and this morning I've implemented the next major step forward by enabling user registration.

At this stage, registering as a user will allow you to make comments on images in the galleries and to compile your own album of favourites. There are other options that I can make available in the longer term if this first step is successful.

The registration process is automated and you can activate it yourself at the moment. You must use a valid email address to register otherwise you will not receive the activation link.

Please register using your proper name i.e. Mark Whittaker, not a nickname.

You will be able post comments immediately you have registered but they will not appear to others until they have been approved. Please ensure that comments are relevant to the image and informative to other users. Please be patient waiting for your comments to be approved/rejected.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or if you experience any difficulties then please post them in this topic.

I hope this will be an advance that can be enjoyed by many but of course it potentially opens up opportunities for the site to be abused too. If the problems prove to outweigh the benefits then I will return it to how it was, so those of you who enjoy the Tour please make the most of this new opportunity to add interest to the site.

Here's a link to the registration agreement http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/register.php

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website