Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Charles Ingham Bandroom in Memorial Park  (Read 7615 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Park keepers cottage
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 05:18:53 PM »
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

I've just checked back through the Friends of Memorial Park minutes and it was August 2005(! ) when David Brayshay (temp Head of Parks & Rec at SMBC) attended one of our meetings to explain the council's plans at that time. Interesting to note that a quick solution was desired!

Since then we have had a few updates and the latest news we were given was that it was being considered as a new venue for Treetops Nursery. That was also several months ago and at our last meeting this month it was still reported to be the case. For it to drag on this long is rather unsatisfactory, and I will try to follow it up.

The legal situation (as I understand it) with the cottage is that there are covenants in the deeds from when the park was left to the community of Marple that the cottage can only be used for community purposes, a good thing we think, meaning that the council are not able to sell it, but also restrictive because it cannot be used for purely business purposes, like a tearoom. Whether a nursery fits this criteria remains to be seen.

You can check back through all the Friends' minutes on their web site at www.marplememorialpark.org.uk.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Mike

Charles Ingham Bandroom in Memorial Park
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 02:16:32 PM »
1st time poster here, so be gentle with me.

Does anybody know what is happening with the park keepers cottage on memorial park. It seems to have been empty for years.

It is a cracking building and a feature of the park that should not just be left to rot and decay.

Looking forward to your responses.