RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Romiley Books  (Read 2994 times)

Water Rat

Romiley Books
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 10:09:57 PM »
Not sure if this helps - for the Romiley area there are a number of sources but it really depends on what you wish to focus on.  Sources could include:

Bill Beard who has 'recently' published two books - a photo and narrative history of Romiley and also of Romiley School - these were for sale in the Carpet Shop at one time!

Leslie Rice produced the Compstall Story in 1984 which naturally focuses on Compstall

Robert Hunter also produced a short history of Bredbury and Romiley following his adult education classes in the late 70's

Bredbury and Romiley Urban District Council also produced a short history in their guide to the area published in the late 1960's.

The records of the Compstall Co-operative Society are also available in the national archive - which covers their branch in Romiley.

Railways - you can get a good start from W Burton - on this website.

The Home Guard records are available at the Cheshire Regiment records in Chester.

This is in addition to Omerod's (sp) history of Cheshire etc.

The first point of call - which I am sure that you will have thought of is Bredbury library followed by Stockport and Manchester.  The latter have the North Cheshire Herald and Stockport Express newspaper records.

Hope this helps

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Romiley Books
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 08:58:43 PM »
For general history there are several pages that mention Romiley in "Stockport, a History" by Peter Arrowsmith. I would think you can borrow it from local libraries. Also, Marple Library's local heritage section upstairs has at least one book with photographs of Romiley and there may well be others of interest too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

cissmiace

Romiley Books
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 06:54:26 PM »
Hi there, I am desperatley trying to find out any information on Romiley for my new website in the form of books.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any books on Romiley?

Thanks!