Lock No. 15

Top Lock ( No. 16)

Brickbridge 

Marple Wharf 

Lock 16 is better know as Top Lock, a name given to the whole area, rather than just the lock itself. In the panoramic shot below Top Lock House dominates the view from Bridge number 1 of the Macclesfield Canal. The house is presently owned by the Allcard family who run Top Lock Marine and provide a narrowboat training service. It was originally built by Samuel Oldknow, who had a boat-building yard adjacent, and it's thought that the manager of the yard first lived in the house.


 
If you click on the picture a larger version of the scene will open in a new window.

From 1840 to about 1935 the boatyard was operated by the Jinks family, who lived at Top Lock House. On a larger copy of the old photograph below, the words on the sign over the wooden shed next to the house can just about be made out as 'R. JINKS, Horse Shoer & General Smith'. Probably the best known member of the family was James Jinks who served for many years as a local councillor and also as chairman of Marple Urban District Council.

The area around Top Lock had a much more industrial appearance before commercial traffic ceased due to the dominance of the railways, as can be seen from the picture above and the two below of Lock 16. The picture on the left showing the toll house is particularly spartan, without a blade of grass in sight.

Unfortunately the modern curse of the motor car makes it difficult to take a comparable photograph today to illustrate how little this scene has really changed.

Brickbridge

Lock No. 15

Top Lock (No. 16)

Marple Wharf

This page is part of the Marple Locks Virtual Tour