Lock No. 13

Lock No. 14

Lock No. 15

This photograph looking at Lock 14 from Lock 15 locktail bridge, we think taken in the sixties, shows a much harsher scene than the present-day shot below, which has been softened by the growth of trees and shrubs. 

Of course there were some advantages to fewer trees in that you got a much better view in those days. The building with the black and white gable to the left was the Liberal Club on Stockport Road, sadly no longer there, and Hollins House in Memorial Park can be made out in the background too.

It was the photograph of Lock 14 below, looking in the opposite direction towards Lock 15, that we used to create the design for a brass plaque to commemorate the Bicentenary of Marple Locks' original construction in 1804.

We designed the plaque on behalf of the newly formed Marple Locks Society who organised the Canal Festival on 3rd July 2004 to celebrate the 200th anniversary. The following series of images show how the design was created and turned into metal:


Step 1


Step 2


The final design


The finished article

Lock No. 13

Lock No. 14

Lock No. 15

This page is part of the Marple Locks Virtual Tour