Bridge No. 18

Lock No. 13

Lock No. 14

These two pictures of Lock 13, taken from the locktail bridge of Lock 14, show just how close together the locks are as they start the final rise towards the Upper Level at Top Lock. Lock 13's bottom gates are right on top of the entrance to Posset Bridge.

This picture, taken on a delightful July summer's day, is from our 2004 Marple & Mellor Calendar. Behind the building in the background with the three gables is the site of Black Wharf, alongside Lock 12 pound. To the right beyond this is the area where Oldknow built 'Brick Row' to house his workers, which can be seen in the old photograph on the right at the bottom of the page.

Less than 100 yards towards the centre of Marple along Stockport Road is the Navigation Hotel, a fine place to stop for refreshments. This is one of the original five 'Navigations' on the Peak Forest Canal and was owned by Samuel Oldknow after he purchased it from Richard Arkwright in 1791. He used it as a brewhouse to produce free ale for his workforce at the Lime Kilns and for the many Irish navvies constructing the Peak Forest Canal. What a great employer he must have been!


Navigation outbuildings


Brick Row, built to house Oldknow's workers

The picture above left shows the Navigation's outbuildings, which were knocked down many years ago to create the small car park next to the pub. Opposite the car park is another Oldknow building that did survive and is now a popular restaurant known as 'The Edge'.

Bridge No. 18

Lock No. 13

Lock No. 14

This page is part of the Marple Locks Virtual Tour